Christmas bowl for mom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TerryDowning

TerryDowning

Not nearly as spectacular as some of the work I see here. But it's mine and I stand by it.

1_2012-12-17_07.14.25.jpg

1_2012-12-17_07.14.17.jpg

I rescued it from this
1_2012-10-27_15.26.38.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Actually that was save number 2 for this piece.

I was able to repair the broken tenon and the fracture on the original. with Tite Bond 2

I worked the thickness down some more and started filling the cracks with gold embossing powder and CA.

Let it cure, put it back on the lathe, I was working the inside nicely, moved to the outside to adjust the contour, caught a crack that must have opened up and become exposed (I guess I didn't fill it good enough) and blew it apart again. Unfortunately it tore a hole in the side and splintered on the way out. There was nothing to salvage without it looking absolutely terrible. I let it sit for a day, came back to it and decided to just cut it down and at least get something out of it.

The wood was a freebie from a tree trimmer anyways so no financial loss, just the time invested in it. Of course had I separated out the pith earlier I would not have had the cracks to deal with n the first place. Oh well.

Overall I'm happy with the result.

Last edited:

shull

As an instructor of mine once said "there are no failures, just design opportunities".

Nicely executed design opportunity.:)

Top Bottom