Cholla and popcorn!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Good job Ed! Looks like a pretty creepy face in the sawdust on the close up shots between you and the lathe! Could just be me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 2.02.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 2.02.43 PM.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'd like to see how you sharpen your skew, Ed, as that's something I really don't do well, and yours seems razor sharp. .

I can use the skew to shear, but if I were to use it like you do, as a scraper, I'd get explosions like you wouldn't believe!

I have very ugly grinds from my bench grinder, and it just doesn't cut as nicely as yours...

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Andrew!!

My "sharpening technique" is noteworthy only because it is so poor.

For THIS video, I really tried to get a nice edge, since I knew I intended to do close-ups. If you look real closely, you can see the sharpened part of the tool reflects light in about 4 different directions---the mark of very poor grinding!

However, I got it "close to sharp" by using my belt sander (stationary) and 120 grit paper. (For those who nearly passed out in shock or are accusing me of blasphemy, remember these are $20 skews!!!) Then, I have a "stone" from Harbor Freight, which I used to improve the edge a bit.

Your comment that I am using the skew like a scraper is not EXACTLY correct, but I wanted to explain what is happening. So, thanks for asking this on the thread!!!!

A scraper is used (at least by ME) by resting it flat on the toolrest and finding the best angle to cut just below the 9 o'clock position, on the blank. If it is a "square" scraper, the full width of the tool is cutting the blank. The tool is thick to provide the "dampening" of any vibration.

When I use a skew, only one point of the edge is touching (and cutting) the blank. While the camera angle does make it look like I am holding the edge horizontally, in truth it has about a 15 degree variance from the horizontal. AND I am very slightly ABOVE the 9 o'clock (maybe ten after nine:rolleyes::biggrin:). Additionally, when using a scraper, your tool is, generally at a 90 degree angle to the toolrest (stated differently, perpendicular to the mandrel). When I am using my skew, that angle is closer to 70 degrees, pointing into the line of travel of the cut.

PLEASE!!! IF THIS IS NOT CLEAR---SAY SO!!! How one holds the tool will make a WORLD of difference in your success ratio!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This one needs a drawing or two---I WILL answer, but it will be a little while---off to CorelDraw for "illustrations".

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

I am supposed to give a demo in March and one in May (MAPG). ALL of the information that I can assemble between now and then will enhance my ability to be entertaining and informative----

THANK YOU for helping me find the areas of INTEREST!!!

Ed
(the illustrations are nearly ready)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, let's start with "why this profile"?

Cause I don't CARE what the profile is!! Turning a pen is a straight cut--no beads, no coves, no talent required!! Just cut straight.

SO, my skews are pictured below:

Attachments

• Skew profile.jpg
    Skew profile.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 101

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WHY don't I care?

BECAUSE EVERY angle has a sweet spot or two for cutting. The red dot shows where I think I will get the best cut on the edge of each skew, making a pass going left (first pic) or right (second pic)

Attachments

• Skew point of contact.jpg
    Skew point of contact.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom