Chitter Chatter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

nvillerod

Still new to this type of turning...

Occasionally I will get "chatter" when turning. Most of the time it is on the tailstock side blank (if turning non-Sierra type), in the middle of that blank.

It will happen with wood or acrylics. I am using a sharp skew, have tried tightening and loosening the mandrel screw, done the best I could with truing up the mandrel. I'm suspecting that is my problem. Looking for any assistance. Thanks

Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've had that happen and I attribute it to trying to take off too much at one time. Try making lighter cuts. I think the problem is due to mandrel flex and it's most likely to flex in the middle. If that isn't the reason, I know someone will correct me.[B)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As Gerry said, and assuming that this is not a consistent problem, the issue is the mandrel bowing. In addition to Gerry's suggestion of taking lighter cuts, you have several choices for a fix. 1) You can reverse the order of the blanks and bushings on the mandrel so you are cutting near the headstock. 2) You can turn one blank at a time, filling the remaining length of the mandrel with spaces. 3) You use a collet chuck (many use the Beall version) and shorten the mandrel to minimize the chatter, sometimes eliminating it. For visual reference, you can see this happen to Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) in one of his videos in the Library.

nvillerod

Thanks for the assistance. Lou and Jerryr I will try your suggestions. Frank, maybe we need a tutorial on determining the sex of a skew. (maybe mine was "fixed")

txbob

Rod,
Sometimes highly figured wood will have soft and hard spots that cause chatter. Even with a sharp tool, good mandrel, etc, putting pressure on the tool lets it cut deeper on the soft spots. What I do when this happens is true up the blank with a scraper, or another tool used like a scraper, without rubbing the bevel. Then increase the lathe speed to its highest setting and take light cuts. When sanding, use a sanding block to back up the paper, not something soft like your fingers.
Hope this helps,
txbob

RPM

One other option you might consider is using either a collet chuck or an adjustable mandrel and turning only one barrel at a time. This allows you to adjust the length of the mandrel between centers to be minimized. I have been doing this for quite a while now and have found that I am getting much better control with regard to chatter, out of round issues, etc.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom