Chisel Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

Folks, despite intentions not to, I have acquired about 20-25 lathe chisels. I am looking for input/advice on a good, compact storage solution for them. I have some wall space directly behind my lathe, but it is not enough room for them all for sure--I have some area to the right and behind a dust collection bin on the wall, where I think I could access them. I am interested in a solution that is wall/cabinet side mountable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

D. Oliver, that's right on track with what I'm looking for

Mal, I had seen that rack, and see how it works for pen blanks---are you thinking I could modify it to put chisels on it--or do you want me to drill dowel size holes in all my handles :mad-tongue:

shastastan

This is what I have behind my lathe. Mostly built from scraps. Magnet bars from Hf hold the tools and other stuff in place. Pretty rustic but works for me.

Attachments

• Stans tool rack.jpg
    Stans tool rack.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 285

Skie_M

This is what I have behind my lathe. Mostly built from scraps. Magnet bars from Hf hold the tools and other stuff in place. Pretty rustic but works for me.

I kinda like that design .... I think I'll have to make one like it, when I finally put my shop together. :)

southernclay

An assortment. The magnetic strips from HF are great! The wooden rack came from a craigslist deal but works well.

Attachments

• image-2363557708.jpg
    image-2363557708.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 157
  • image-890462664.jpg
    image-890462664.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 197
  • image-2937437707.jpg
    image-2937437707.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 194

Skie_M

Oh ... hope someone can catch ya and tell you to look up some coupons for those .... they're fairly common!

Dave Turner

I've been telling myself I'm going to build a turning tool rack for the past 10 years. So far, I just lay them on the recessed lid of a large storage bin I keep under the lathe. But they get covered with shavings and there's not enough space to keep all of them out.

After reviewing lots of different designs, the one I like best is the one Tim Yoder uses in his workshop. I lifted a video frame from his show that includes it. This design is very similar to the racks they have at John C. Campbell. It's very easy to grab or replace any of the tools, your hand never has to get close to the sharp end of a tool, and all the tools are easily visible at once. I plan to mount this configuration on a backing board and hang it on the wall using a French cleat system so I can easily move the rack side-to-side for flexibility in positioning or if I later add additional racks or other wall storage options.

Attachments

• Tim Yoder's Tool Rack.jpg
    Tim Yoder's Tool Rack.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 308

Fish30114

Thanks for posting that Dave, I've actually taken a class at Jon C Campbell--the class was a fiasco, but they did have pretty nice turning stations. When I went earlier this year, the tools were in a closeable door on the desk/cabinet in each turning station, worked OK, tools were a little tough to see, depending on the size of each tool--the smallish tools were hidden behind the 'retaining piece' of plywood that held the tools into the rack there.

There have been some inspiring ideas here--didn't get to HF yesterday, maybe tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Charlie_W

I've been telling myself I'm going to build a turning tool rack for the past 10 years. So far, I just lay them on the recessed lid of a large storage bin I keep under the lathe. But they get covered with shavings and there's not enough space to keep all of them out.

After reviewing lots of different designs, the one I like best is the one Tim Yoder uses in his workshop. I lifted a video frame from his show that includes it. This design is very similar to the racks they have at John C. Campbell. It's very easy to grab or replace any of the tools, your hand never has to get close to the sharp end of a tool, and all the tools are easily visible at once. I plan to mount this configuration on a backing board and hang it on the wall using a French cleat system so I can easily move the rack side-to-side for flexibility in positioning or if I later add additional racks or other wall storage options.

All those Doug Thompson tools look great on Yoders rack!

Charlie_W

Currently, I have most of my regularly used chisels in a bucket with some thin wall PVC pipe. Just need to start another bucket. They are point down so you have to label handles. My bucket sits on a milk crate so they are in easy reach.
I just grab my bucket and go when we have club turning events. I like the wall rack but not behind the lathe. Too much chance of getting careless and reaching over a running machine. To one side or on an adjacent wall is good.

Good luck!

Last edited:

shastastan

I kinda like that design .... I think I'll have to make one like it, when I finally put my shop together. :)

Can't say much for the design since it just osmosed out of necessity. Some folks have some really nice tool racks. As you can see my tool inventory is now over-flowing. I do use all the tools, depending on the type of projects, so I don't want to get rid of any. He who dies with the most tools wins and HF magnet strips help to reach that goal. :).

Top Bottom