Chisel sharpening.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

It might, depending upon the grit of the sanding material and a method to ensure you can consistently get the same angle on your chisels and gouges.

Sorby makes a sharpener using a similar principle but it IS specifically designed for turning tools -- and 3+ times the cost:biggrin:.

monophoto

Capt Eddie jokes that there are many ways to sharpen tools - including scraping them on a brick. The difference between the various sharpening systems is purely a matter of convenience and personal preference.

So yes, that device certainly could be used.

In fact, one of the tool manufacturers (Sorby) sell a similar product that they recommend for their tools.

I have one of these and I don't know if I would try to sharpen turning tools with it. For one thing the belt is very narrow, about half an inch so moving a tool wider than that across the very small guide would cause an inconsistant sharping. It might work for very small skew but that would be it.

This is really designed for knives, axes, shovels etc. The grits on the belts will go very fine, if I remember 2000 grit and then they also supply a white diamond type bar to put in worn out 2000 grit belts.

You would be better off putting the money towards a good stone for a bench grinder and a jig for that.

Mike

eliasbboy

Sharpening has be my achillies heal for as long as I can remember.

I have two Work Sharps, a bench grinder with the Wolverine system, Japanese Water Stones, Veritas' guides and jigs, as well as the Work Sharp/Tormek compatible jigs.

I finally took a leap and bought the Tormek T-3 sharpening system. It's the little brother of the T-7, but half the price and arguably half the durability. It's plastic whereas the T-7 is metal, has a smaller wheel, the motor is rated for 30 minutes at a time and the T7 is rated for continuous. It comes with a few less jugs than the T7 but I was fortunately already in possession of those.

It is a thing of beauty. If I can get a sharp edge on my tools with this thing, anyone can. As far as that goes, you can even purchase a Tormek bench grinder attachment that would allow you to use the Tormek jigs with a bench grinder. You would loose the benefit of a wet stone, but save hundreds in the process.

The T-7 is around $750, and I purchased the T-3 for $350. It's not cheap, but for my sanity it was money well spent.

low_48

I would say that is not the best way to sharpen turning tools. Of course, there are lots of tool designs. Maybe sharpening a small scraper would be okay, but a 3/4" roughing gouge, or a skew, or a bowl gouge would really be a challenge. Lots better choices out there, even a regular hand held belt sander if you make some tool holders and tool rests.

WriteON

Hey thanks everyone. I will pass. I have about $110 worth of reward points I could use. That was my only motivation. I will buy the proper sharpener when the
time comes.

Top Bottom