Cherry ZIA Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Cherry Bowl with Zentangle Inspired Pyrography. Created as part of a public demo at The Woodworking Shows to promote the artistic side of Woodturning and the local woodturning clubs of Connecticut and Massachusetts. Around 10" (26 cm) across. Finished with oil and polyurethane.

Attachments

• Cherry ZIA Bowl 02.jpg
    Cherry ZIA Bowl 02.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks

Need to learn how to do that. Great looking!!did you use a laser to do the design?

Did the basic design free form by hand with a woodburning pen, used the index wheel to put down some layout lines to make the patterns uniform.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm trying bowls/boxes... Enjoying it - but a long learning curve! I did a charity box this past weekend, but the wood has shifted enough I don't know it is "acceptable." Yes they will take it, but is it really good enough?

HAVE FUN!!!

Mark:biggrin:

Bob Wemm

Eric, That is beautiful. It is really good to see the addition of "ART" to make something which is beautiful in it's own right even more beautiful.
Love your work and thanks for showing.

Bob.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks again everyone

That is beautiful work! Can I ask you to expand on your finishing technique? What type of oil? Wipe on poly?

Phase one is Bush Oil, a Linseed Oil based witches brew of stuff that I let cure for at least three days. Applied per the instructions, one wet coat, let sit for 30 minutes then a second application, let sit for 15 minutes then wipe down, all with paper towel, with fresh towel for final wipe down.

After at least three days, begin to apply Minwax Gloss Wipe-on-poly with a wipe down with Mineral Spirits before each coat. Use paper towel. Repeat this process until desired sheen develops. Occasionally de-nib / level with Abralon pads if I get sloppy and apply too wet of a coat and it sags.

I never buff, this finish is how it cures right off the towel. If you apply properly, it is wet enough to flow out, yet not so wet it sags.

Top Bottom