cherry burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

Here's a gorgeous chunk of cherry burl courtesy of our own TurnerJohn74... If you get a chance to turn some of this stuff, I'd highly recommend it. Thanks for sharing, John.

I finished this a month or two ago, and it's taken on a lovely, rich color.

It's about 7.5 inches in diameter and finished with shellac and WOP.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

cherry-burl-2011-2.jpgcherry-burl-2011-1.jpgcherry-burl-2011-5.jpgcherry-burl-2011-4.jpgcherry-burl-2011-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Bravo!!!!!
Well executed.....and a gutsy turn. The cherry burl from around here is notorious for exploding when tooled and injuring the wood turner. I've never seen a piece with this much character that would actually hold together when tooled.

I get the hebie Jeebies just thinking about the throat on this rascal!

Brarvo!!!!

Last edited:

65GTMustang

David another Masterpiece!!!
That is some awesome Burl
I am going to look John up now.
Any info you have that might help me get in touch would be great - I will just do a simple member search.
Thanks
Kevin

robutacion

I agree completely with David (seamus7227) just above, you have certainly developed a special touch for these sort of pieces/shapes and you are making excellent executions.

As been my claim for some time that, all woods are usable and some of the best work as been produced from blanks/chunks/pieces of wood, far from "perfect". In fact, some of the best grains, colorations and other unusual characteristics are found around or withing flaws and other "things" that most people would see as rubbish/firewood.

A little imagination, some improvisation and a fair degree of care, can certainly be well worth it, huh...???:wink:

Keep up the good work, mate...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom