Cherry Burl with a walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from K-9 Man

K-9 Man

Hello, it has been awhile since I have been able to post due to work. Attached are a couple of pictures of a pen I was able to turn this past weekend. It is cherry burl segmented with a walnut. I drilled the walnut and stabilized it with thin CA glue. The finish is CA glue which I am getting better at. All Q&C welcomed.

Attachments

• 20151201_143736.jpg
    20151201_143736.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 20151201_143750.jpg
    20151201_143750.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Looking good.

If I may suggest? See how the thin glue line detract a bit and the woods kind of overpower each other. If you put a thin black piece of plastic between the two end pieces it would highlight the different woods on either side. A piece of aluminum or copper sheet would also work.

Did I make sense?

Lucky2

I'm sorry to be the one that disagrees, with what all have posted so far. To me, this looks like an attempt to save a blank. Yes, you did a good job getting the pieces to join up so nice an neatly, and maybe something to highlight the seams would look better. But, as is, I would have to pass.
Len

K-9 Man

Looking good.

If I may suggest? See how the thin glue line detract a bit and the woods kind of overpower each other. If you put a thin black piece of plastic between the two end pieces it would highlight the different woods on either side. A piece of aluminum or copper sheet would also work.

Did I make sense?

Thank you for the input. I should have done that I even have things set aside to do that and forgot. I got caught up in trying to get the walnut to work. On my next one I will place some plastic in between them. Thanks again.

K-9 Man

I'm sorry to be the one that disagrees, with what all have posted so far. To me, this looks like an attempt to save a blank. Yes, you did a good job getting the pieces to join up so nice an neatly, and maybe something to highlight the seams would look better. But, as is, I would have to pass.
Len

Len, thanks for the input. On my next pen I will use something in between the two materials. I got focused on getting the walnut to work, which was a little of a challenge.

Top Bottom