Cherry Baby Rattle - Loved by My 2yr Old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Never turned "rings" before so I did some practice making a baby rattle in preparation for making captive ring wedding chalice or goblet. Grabbed a piece of 2x2x9 Black Cherry and manged to free up 4 rings without much sweet. Would probably been a little easier with a ring gouge but managed them with a skew and 1/16 parting tool. After I got them loose I decided to turn the whole thing into a baby rattle, it was a little large for an actual babie's use but what the heck I can give it to my "two year old"
rolleyes.gif

IMG_9127.jpg IMG_9129.jpg IMG_9130.jpg

My 2yr old long haired Chihuahua pup
biggrin.gif
just loves to chew on wood. I gave it to her at 7:58

7:58 - first she checks out both ends of the handle. Snaps a small chip off the ring "cap".
IMG_9132.jpg

7:59 - By this time she has decided to focus on the rings.
IMG_9133.jpg

8:06 - She now has one ring off and is working on another.
IMG_9134.jpg

8:07 - Ahh two down and two to go!
IMG_9138.jpg

8:18 - By this time she has all four rings off and is looking at it as if to say "Now what?".
IMG_9139.jpg

By 8:19 every piece was in the trash can. She doesn't eat any of the wood, she just loves to chew and break it into pieces.
confused.gif
If it had not been Cherry I would have let her keep it but Cherry has a little toxicity to it and I didn't want her to chew on it enough to accidentally ingest some of it.

Well it was only practice, it also gave me an idea for a chew toy she can keep longer. I will practice on some maple tomorrow and make pretty much the same thing but without the handle, think 4-5 inch long spool with 3-4 rings on it. Maple doesn't have the toxicity problem of cherry and I think it would give here a bit more challenge to chew the rings off.
cool.gif

Comments appreciated.

Top Bottom