Cheers from British Columbia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kodi

Hello fellow pen makers!

I'm new to this Association and fascinated by the size of the membership. I've made pens off and on over a few years now...but since retirement last year my output has increased.

I presently have a few requests to make pens for people who wish to pay me!!! Yahoo:rotfl:

I'm not sure yet how to connect with those who have answers, but "finishing" is where my present questions lie. Is there anyone who can help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Welcome aboard!

Getting paid for something you do in the garage, shed, or fully outfitted workshop is just a bonus. I really love turning.

As far as finishing goes.....pretty sure at least one person here nows someone that knows what they are doing.

Scott (see you around) B

darrin1200

Hi kodi Welcome to penturning.

Here is a link to a couple of videos I watched when I started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nXSaGOHMK8
http://www.youtube.com/user/grub32#p/u/6/p9X_XG9lkig

This video got me started with the CA but I have done a little of my own experimenting. Heres what I do.

1) Sand blank to 600 with sandpaper.

2) Wipe off with a paper towel.

3) For an applicator I use a blue shop towel cut in quarters then fold one quarter 4 times to get a strip. I run my lathe at about 1/2 speed (1800 RPM)

4) Apply 1 drop of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) it seems to work as a lubricant to keep the towel from sticking. The one drop is critical.

5) Apply 2 drops of Medium CA over the drop of BLO ensureing it is completely covered.

6) Apply this to the blank as demonstrated in the video. Do not let it get to hot. I have found that with my method you only need to apply until fingers are getting warm. It is not important to get a super shine yet.

7) Repeat this until you have at least 6 coats.

8) Use wet micro mesh (MM) pads and wet sand all the way to 12000. I have a little plastic dish of water I keep them in and put on the lathe under the pen. You only need to touch the MM to the blank for a couple of seconds. You are more polishing at this point.

9) Once you have gone through all the MM pads. Wipe everything off with a paper towel to ensure it is dry.

10) Polish using a plastic polish (I am using Hut Ultra Gloss). Apply using a soft paper towel. You will notice the towel turn black. Change positions on the cloth until it doesn't get black. I do this at least twice.

11) I then give a final buff using a 100% cotton pad. I use the cotton pads that women get for removing makeup.

This process has given me my highest gloss yet.

They are great to get you on the road. Keep in mind there are as many ways to apply this finish as there are pen turners. Take different ideas and play with them until you find one you like. I'm still working on my finishes.

Good Luck
Darrin

Kodi

First timer...

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome to this first timer!

I enjoyed watching the videos, Darrin, and picking up your tips. One thing I find interesting is, you don't use an accelerator...while Grub32 does. Is there any particular reason for that?

Also, you don't use any rubber gloves...while Grub32 does. Again, I'm interested in your thoughts about that.

I spotted some threads that discuss concerns over using CA and some associated health reactions. Before I graduate to this finish, I would appreciate any comments you have there, too.

Cheers.

darrin1200

I am glad the videos helped.

As I said I have played around a little with this finish. Williams video was the first one I watched, later I saw Grub32's which led me to start using MM after and the polishing.

My pens have a variety of finishes on them as I have worked my way through this. Most of the people who look at my pens don't notice, but I do.

I didn't have accelerator when I started CA, because William didn't use it. When I saw it in Grub32's I did some research and found that people were split as to whether it might cause fogging in the finish. Supposidly heat will have a similar curing affect, since I hadn't been using it I figured I didn't need to start. Also while I was researching this, people also said BLO caused fogging. This I did notice if I used to much. I would only see it in spots. Hence why I only use one drop of BLO under the CA.

Glove with CA. In some cases this is a personal choice. When I flood the piece with CA, as Grub32 does, I wear gloves because CA is going everywhere. I also lay material over the lathe. When I am doing it with the drop of CA over BLO, I don't find it necessary. Occasionally the CA will soak through the towel and lightly stick to my finger, but nothing that I have had a problem with. Personal choice.

All other times that I use CA, I use gloves (ie gluing tubes, soaking fragile blanks etc) The fist time I glued tubes I didn't wear gloves and was peeling glue off my fingers for a week. Keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy, to help get unstuck.

As for health concerns. I am not a doctor and am a firm believer that glasses and a dust mask a the turners best friend. Especially with exotic woods. I have heard that some people will have an alergic type reaction with CA on contact. My greater concern is with inhaling the fumes. From personal experience do not work with your head over the work piece, because the fumes rise. Work in a very well ventilated area and wear a respirator. You can get them for about $30 at Princess Auto. My little lathe turning area is not well ventilated and a respirator is essential.

Like I said before, this is a finish that pretty well everyone personalizes. Hope this helps.

Darrin

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Mike. Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom