Cheap way to make pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Many moons ago, I tried a "duplicator" - very similar "plan".

Took me longer to set it up and get it running than it did to turn a pen!!!

Used it twice.

badger

I have one of those. It looks like my Taig Mini metal lathe actually. Never used it for wood, but it does a bang up job on small scale aluminum turnings. I'm probably going to make some custom bushings on it when I need them.

Pens? No way.

pipeyeti

That is a Taige micro metal lathe. I have one but don't use it for pens. I use it to make all my tamper hardware on. If you need a small metal lathe its a nice piece of equipment.

badger

Originally posted by pipeyeti

That is a Taige micro metal lathe. I have one but don't use it for pens. I use it to make all my tamper hardware on. If you need a small metal lathe its a nice piece of equipment.

Agreed, I've a bunch of nice little projects with it.

bitshird

Originally posted by Aderhammer

I believe this machine destroys the whole essence of penturning.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pmla.html
[:0]
The first pens I saw turned back in the early 90s were turned on a lathe very similar to the Taig lathe in the add, it was a Sherline micro lathe, I still don't own a wood lathe, and so far I've done just over 100 pens and key rings and 3 duck calls, I manage to turn allot of pens other than B2B, I can do beads, I can do strange profiles (woop dee doos), and pregnant pens. [:eek:)]
My own lathe is a Jet 920BN metal lathe, and if I'm goofing off at work I use either a Clausing 15x60 metal lathe, or a Huge 40 year old Monster lathe, I have a CNC lathe at work, but I'm not about to fill up the coolant pump with wood dust, besides that would remove all of the spontaneity from the design but I could make several hundred exactly alike in very short order. [|)]
Using a metal lathe you do have to have some degree of coordination, like patting your head and rubbing your stomach with the other hand, you are controlling 2 hand wheels at once, this lathe is not a duplicator, I really don't see where this machine destroys any thing, if needed I can create center bands, nibs or finials out of what ever metal I choose then do the barrels on the same machine, Try that on a wood lathe ;) you can add a wood type tool rest to most any metal lathe, If you must be a Purist, but really it's just a tool, as you grow older you'll find the art of any work comes from the soul and skill of the creator of the piece of work, not some stupid conglomeration of metal and electricity [8D];)

RonSchmitt

IMHO a duplicator takes the "craft" out of the pen. I am in no way saying I am anywhere near as good at this as most of the guys and gals who post here, but I like to think I put a little something personal into every pen I make.
A duplicator would change it from an "almost" self supporting hobby, into just another assembly line operation.

(no offense to anyone who uses one, just my personal opinion)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have that lathe in the Taig brand. I bought the metal version as shown there and then bought the individual parts for wood/pens. For the first two years of making pens, I used the Taig. I still use it occasionally but never in the metal setup for pens.

When I wanted to get started in pens, It cost far too much to bring or personally ship a decent lathe to Japan. However, the Taig fit fine in my suitcase (without motor of course). This was before the "50 pound" limit on luggage. Lathes here in Japan have been hard to find and then they were HIGH priced. A lathe similar to the cheapest underpowered lathe you can find in HF and other places that most people dismiss - has recently been sold here for roughly $400.00. When I was home a year for Stateside work in '05/'06, I had a Rikon shipped back in a crate provided by our organization.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Some people are missing the point. This is NOT a duplicator.

It is an ideal way to get into metal turning without big bucks.
You would NEVER have to buy bushes again, for one.
You could also easily add a traditional tool rest to do all the sexy curves you want.

Just remember that this particular one does NOT come with a motor.
That could be a good thing. Add an old DC motor and you have a pretty nice Variable Speed Mini Metal lathe.

If those were sold here and for the same price, I'd grab one for sure.;)

Someone stated that this IS a TAIG lathe .. is there a TAIG model number available for reference ??
I mean, if PSI bought out all of the dicontinued TAIG stock, it might be helpful to know what the rest of the world calls this exact unit .. Thanks for the info .. I might have to get one of these .. always DID want a metal lathe ..

Wildman

Think by the time you buy a motor, switch, etc.. may as well look at the HUT Sherline lathe system.

Vega also makes a mini lathe duplicator that fits a Jet mini for a few dollars less.

In any event too many moving parts for me, so will stick to conventional wood lathes.

PenPal

Taig Lathe
I use mine for small fine work,when I make cartridge pens I use the true bullet and drill them on the Taig,a very precise lathe,my advice as well is to view Carters site it is an eye opener indeed.Horses for courses.

Peter

Top Bottom