cheap Carbide Burrs from HF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

I was dinking around on their webpages today and found a set of 20 Carbide Burrs for $4.00. I have used them for many years but not at this price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-solid-carbide-micro-bit-grab-bag-44924.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3911a&utm_source=1002

image_112122.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

Problems?

I purchased a set and the first 3 I used broke and the rest of them went into the trash. But, I may not know how to best use them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Although I have had a few break out of each set, it hasn't been much of a problem because of the price per each. They are rather fragile, so you can't horse them.........JIM

PenMan1

I'm sorry! I put a HF cast drill bit all the way through my left hand. It took years to regain the use of all the fingers on that hand.

I am admittedly an ANTI Harbor Freight guy (nearly lost my life yutzing with a $60 paint pot, Finally bought a REAL one, used for $190). BUT, that experience made me a much more savvy shopper. I usually buy the very best quality that I can afford.

WHEN i have failures, I take great pride in knowing that it was, indeed, ME that FUBAR rather than the failure of a cheap tool. HF is my "goto" guys for tarps, zip ties and ultrasonic cleaners (their best USC is $80, a real one is $900, so I can take a few risks, there).

As Guido, my attorney says, "When you do finally blow your head off playing with crap, who's your wife gonna sue to survive? Harbor Freight, Not!"

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I purchased a set and the first 3 I used broke and the rest of them went into the trash. But, I may not know how to best use them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

If you are on good terms with your dentist, ask him/her to save you the used dental bits.They often retire them after only one use for hygienic reasons. My dentist gives me all I can use. The diamond bits don't work well on wood, but they are great on metal. The rest are carbide and work great.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Do a good turn daily!
Don

If you are on good terms with your dentist, ask him/her to save you the used dental bits. When they are too dull to cut teeth, they still do a great job on wood. My dentist gives me all I want. The diamond ones work well on metal, but not on wood. And the price is right!

Exactly! AND...if you are as cheap as me, your dentist will give you the name of his or her "lab guy". For a nice pen, the lab guy will give you all the used bits for porcelan, those do very nicely on wood, too! Your dentist is your friend...keep saying it until you believe it!

Last edited:

sbwertz

Do a good turn daily!
Don

If you are on good terms with your dentist, ask him/her to save you the used dental bits. When they are too dull to cut teeth, they still do a great job on wood. My dentist gives me all I want. The diamond ones work well on metal, but not on wood. And the price is right!

Exactly! AND...if you are as cheap as me, your dentist will give you the name of his or her "lab guy". For a nice pen, the lab guy will give you all the used bits for porcelan, those do very nicely on wood, too! Your dentist is your friend...keep saying it until you believe it!

Dang! I didn't think of that. And he is right next door to the dentist and I have done computer work for him. Thanks for the tip!

dogcatcher

These carbide bits are extremely brittle as long as you do not force them they will last a long time, Try to hurry and they are goners. Bump them against something, and they will snap in a heart beat. Are they worth $4, to me they are, carving extremely small items takes this type of bit.

Top Bottom