Changing a nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbrock

I have a customer that wants a fountain pen, but he wants a wider nib than the standard nib that comes in the Baron/Navigator kits. Do they just screw out or what. Too expensive to play around with, I don't want to screw the nib up just because I don't know what I am doing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

1. Unscrew front section from pen barrel.
2. Grab nib and feed and unscrew.
(You may need to soak in warm water and it may require some effort.)

3. Clean feed while you have the chance.
4. Place new nib on feed.
(Align it on straight, feed a little past breather hole.
5. Screw unit into front section.
6. Put front section back on.
This should work for you depending on pen style.

Contact Lou (DCBluesman) if you have any questions. He is the master!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It pulls out.

BUT!!! A wider nib is not likely to work "just great" with the existing feed. And a wider feed is not likely to fit in the Baron housing. Lou or Anthony could render more experienced answers, but it's not just "pull one out, insert the wider and the world is a beautiful place!!"

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If by wider you mean the span from wing to wing, you have a tricky task ahead of you. All of the kit nibs and, as far as I know, all of the secondary market nibs from Anthony, Brian, etc. which fit the Baron will have similar wing spans. You cannot simply swap a larger nib, because the larger nibs are built to fit a 6 mm feed vs. a 5 mm feed for the Baron and Juniors. The 6 mm feed will not fit the Baron or Jr. collars. If your customer doesn't mind paying for a custom fit, I may be able to help. Let me know via PM.

KenV

You can move up to a pen with a larger feed than the Baron (smaller nib) -- there are a number of great fountainpens styles which use a larger feed than the Baron family.

I suggest a pen with a bigger feed rather than a hybrid --

Top Bottom