Centering long piece with scroolchuck jaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from athenstrestle

athenstrestle

Hi all,

I'm new to turning long objects, having only recently bought a scrollchuck jaw. I'm having problems centering my piece between the scroll jaw at one end and a spinning centre at the other. At low speed (460) it chatters as the spindle isn't centred, and at higher speeds the whole lathe vibrates and actually moves the table it is on. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to centre my currently square stock so that I can turn it round, without having it vibrate crazily?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

quick and easy ways

1) mark the cent of the piece. Put it loosely into the scrollchuck and bring the tailstock up to the marked point. Then tighten.

2) put it in the scrollchuck and without the tailstock in place, turn on and touch the end with a marker to make a circle. turn off the lathe and check how centered the circle is. This takes all of 2 seconds, but is a trial and error way fo getting it centered.

3) turn the piece round between centers before putting the scrollchuck on. Use your spur center and tailstock, mark the centers and get to going.

All three ways will work.

Russianwolf

Maybe a baseball bat blank......

#3 is still the best bet.

But if it's a really long piece, you may need a steady rest in the middle to keep it from flexing.

athenstrestle

Hey guys,
The blank is 1.5" square stock, total length is 35". Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate the responses!

cory

Last edited:
Top Bottom