Centering Jig for face plates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I made this centering jig from T6061 aluminum. It fought me all the way! I didn't make the relief groove wide enough and hit the shoulder and moved the cutting tool. Lost sync with the thread once! A hand crank works OK, but mine slipped a bit when making the deepest cuts. I have a variable speed direct current drive on my 9x20, so I just went to the slowest speed and turned under power. I had trouble parting off the jig and the top doesn't look very good. I may try to clean it up, but I don't want to mess up the knurling or the threads. I may try to internally thread a PVC coupler to the same thread so I can mount the threaded end and face the top.
centering jig.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Paul; I took a short piece of PVC pipe and cut a lengthwise slit in the piece. I chucked this in my 4 jaw independent chuck, because it would not fit in the three jaw. After centering and truing the end, I was able to take light cuts and make a mirror finish.

Next up is a 4 jaw scroll chuck. I need to turn down the cast iron back plate, then turn down the registration boss to fit the chuck. Mark the chuck holes in the back plate and mount screws. Since the back plate doesn't have any grub screws, I will have to thread a grub screw or two into the back plate.

designer

Grab a nut with the correct threads. With a band saw or hack saw, cut thru one of the flats thru to center. Deburr the I.D. of the threads at the slot.

When you thread your piece into the nut and then put the nut into a 3 jaw chuck, the nut will clamp on the threads to hold your part. Threads will not be damaged.

randyrls

Grab a nut with the correct threads. With a band saw or hack saw, cut thru one of the flats thru to center. Deburr the I.D. of the threads at the slot.

When you thread your piece into the nut and then put the nut into a 3 jaw chuck, the nut will clamp on the threads to hold your part. Threads will not be damaged.

Allen; THANK YOU! I will remember that! And I remember that I do have some of those nuts ordered a while back to make up a minimum purchase for free shipping.

Top Bottom