Centering a Pen Tube in a Shell Casing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve123

I am trying to make a shell casing pen and need some advise about centering the pen tube in the casing. I'm able to center the tube in the shell casing head - just punch out the primer, drill a hole in the head with a letter "H" bit (which centers itself in the primer hole) and press in the pen tube. I'm having trouble centering the pen tube in the shell casing neck. I've tried to just fill the gap with epoxy, but the tube is never centered. I've also tried applying a shrink wrap tubing to the outside of the pen tube to fill the gap between the tube and the inside of the shell casing neck, but there is still a pretty good size gap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

An 8mm tube will fit in the neck of 30-06 or .308 casing then the 7mm tube fits snugly in it. Glue about a half inch of the 8mm in then glue the 7mm tube inside it.

KenV

Presuming that you are using 7mm tubes --- the psi pencil tubes are slightly larger and work as a sleeve for the 7mm and still fit into a 308 neck. Some use heat shrink tubing to fill the space. Some solder the tubes in. Depends on what you want --

Bigger tubes for bigger cases???

wb7whi

I glue a short blank about 1/2 inch on end of the tube and turn it until it fits the neck nice and snug.

jskeen

If you melt the lead out of the bullets then repress them into the cartridge, the tube will self center on the taper on the back of the bullet. If you don't want to do that, for a 30 cal case, the nib from a slimline kit is the same OD as the neck of the case. Drill a snug fitting hole into a block of nonstick plastic about an inch deep. (edge of nice thick plastic cutting board works) Seat the nib onto a naked tube, squirt some thick CA into the case, then insert the tube from the front up through the hole in the base, and press the nib into the hole in the plastic, the tip of the nib will center on the taper of the bottom of the hole, the tube will be centered in the case neck, and the CA will slip down around the tube and lock everything in place. after the glue dries, just pull the cartridge out. trim the tube flush with the base of the cartridge,and press in the Tranny.

rherrell

Use a 25.06 casing and solve ALL the problems! It's the EXACT same case as a 30.06 but the neck has been reduced to take the 25 caliber bullets. A 7mm tube is too big so it CENTERS ITSELF on the shoulder. It also fits PERFECTLY on a regular "A" mandrel. Of course a slimline nib won't fit but IMO a real bullet looks 100% better anyway!:wink::)

Gordon

Steve - - I've had success by following a "tip" someone on the forum posted a couple of years ago. He used Thread Seal Tape (telfon tape) that is used to seal plumbing pipe threads. You can get it at any hardware store. Comes in 1/2" x 100".
I cut the tape 1/4" by approx 8" and wrap it around the end of the brass tube and then gorilla glue the tube into the casing. Good luck.

Gordon

Rmartin

Many of the centering problems are solved by using a real bullet as the nib. If using a 308, the tube needs to be shortened. The tube is just the right length for a 30-06. Drill out the trans end as you would any standard slimline blank.

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
I have used plain masking tapeand make about 4 wraps around the the end ot the tube and apply mdeium CA glue. I also make a couple wraps and CA on the primer end. I nsert the tube while CA is wet and I find it centers, fill and bonds. I have not had any returns or problems with slippage or tube dislodging. Sure beats soildering and is less weight than double tubing. Here is photo of one I made a few days ago.
Pat
Lexington, SC

Top Bottom