Celtic Knotwork Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

In a true Celtic Knot the elements always alternate over/under as they cross one another. Never over twice in a row, never under twice in a row. This is impossible to replicate using segmentation. However with actual inlays:

Pen #9051 - Cambridge Fountain Pen - Elm Burl barrels - 26 pieces of inlay in Anigre and Sapele Pomele.

Pen #9053 - Rodium Nouveau Spectre Rollerball - Thuya Burl - 28 pieces of inlay in Maple Burl.

1__9051-_9053_Celtic-Knotwork-Inlay.jpg

_Sterling-_TitaniumGold_ElmBurl_Celtic-Knotwork_02.jpg

u-Spectre_Rodium-22k-Gold_Thuya-Burl_Maple-Burl-01.jpg

u-Spectre_Rodium-22k-Gold_Thuya-Burl_Maple-Burl_02.jpg

All comments are welcome. Be kind, this is my first post on this forum.

Last edited:

Chief Hill

It's like magic Larry. Now aren't you happy that I showed you how to do that?
Pffft. ROFL...
I only wish.

rpearson

Out-stinking-standing!!!
Looks like perfect inlays and great shadow work. Very familiar with what it takes to create really good inlay and have no doubts you put in a ton of time into these!

Texatdurango

Just when I was getting tired of looking at the "X's and O's, a TRUE knot design comes along.... very nice! Looks like something I would be interested in trying.

Many Thanks

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I don't get on this forum too often so I wasn't sure if celtic was old hat on here or not.
As for larger photos, I tried to attach the larger versions I uploaded to the members album but ran into the "photo's too large" window. Maybe I could have inserted them instead but then the post becomes slow to load for those still on dial-up. Anyway if you want to check out the larger ones they are in my member's album.
Thanks for your interest, I think I shall press on in this art form.

GaryMGg

I was looking at these last night in the filmstrip and I was on the phone today with Darryl up in NH when I saw another one.
I said, "Darryl, have you seen the new Celtic inlay work? These are the best I've seen."
Truly outstanding craftsmanship!
IMHO, It's the first time the term Celtic has been applied and is deserving of it.
They actually look like what a Celtic knot is supposed to.
I tip my glass to you!!! :beer::beer::beer:

oops99

I actually shed some tears when I saw your post, before your post, I didn't think something like that was even possible.
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Tom/oops99

leehljp

Member Liaison
Larry, that is outstanding. It is about time that someone took the knot up a level. If anyone could, I figured it would be you or William. :)

THANKS for posting this for us mortals to see . . . and to dream!

mickr

decided to come to IAP for awhile? Saw this type on your posting on PP..was as pretty there as here!!!

jttheclockman

Welcome to The pen site. Nice work. Will you ever share the techniques??? We are a learning bunch here. Thanks for showing.

Thanks

Thanks again everyone for the great support. I never expected a response like this on this premier forum but I could sure get used to it.
As for the how to; there is no secret tool or method. It is just old fashion inlay techniques. You dig a hole and fill it up with a piece of wood, repeat till done. I size my artwork to the pen diameter, carefully scribe the outlines on the blank then cut the cavities. After that I cut and fit individual pieces to fit.
Here's a photo of one that's on my bench at the moment. One blank has the cavities cut ready for inlays and the other is only scribed. Hope this helps.
ds_Amboyna-Burl-Sapwood_Celtic-Knotwork-Inlays_002.jpg

Chief Hill

Larry not too bad but remember the techniqes I showed you when scribing out the 2nd piece. I really don't want to have to go there and fix any mistakes this time. Take your time and keep the tools sharp. You know where to reach me if you need anymore advice.

Ohhhh man I am having too much fun with this. Sorry Larry.

jttheclockman

Thanks again everyone for the great support. I never expected a response like this on this premier forum but I could sure get used to it.
As for the how to; there is no secret tool or method. It is just old fashion inlay techniques. You dig a hole and fill it up with a piece of wood, repeat till done. I size my artwork to the pen diameter, carefully scribe the outlines on the blank then cut the cavities. After that I cut and fit individual pieces to fit.
Here's a photo of one that's on my bench at the moment. One blank has the cavities cut ready for inlays and the other is only scribed. Hope this helps.
ds_Amboyna-Burl-Sapwood_Celtic-Knotwork-Inlays_002.jpg

Larry

Thanks for showing some of the steps. Maybe as you proced with this one on the bench you could shoot some photos along the way. Not sure if any of us would have this talent you pocess but it would be welcomed. Thanks again for showing.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Larry

Awesome work, and a great pen with the results of your inlay skills!

I do quite a bit of marquetry work, and was wondering if you sand shade the shadows, or if you use a woodburning tool to create the shadows. I do a ton of sand shading when doing the marquetry stuff, but wasnt sure if that would work for you in this application. Inquiring minds would like to know!

Again, congratulations on a stunner of a pen!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks,
I tried sand but it wasn't too successful. Lost the effect in final fitting to pen contour. Resorted to the old carving feathers on birds tricks with the pyrographic pen.
Maybe I'd better refer all future questions to Chief Hill. He seems to claim expertise here.

Larry

Awesome work, and a great pen with the results of your inlay skills!

I do quite a bit of marquetry work, and was wondering if you sand shade the shadows, or if you use a woodburning tool to create the shadows. I do a ton of sand shading when doing the marquetry stuff, but wasnt sure if that would work for you in this application. Inquiring minds would like to know!

Again, congratulations on a stunner of a pen!

Robert

Top Bottom