Caution on cutting MicroMesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just wanted to caution people about cutting MicroMesh into smaller pieces. I had bought some of the 2x3 MicroMesh pads. I had pretty well used up the corners that are easy to get too but they were still pretty good in the center of the pad. with a pad that big it is kind of hard to get in the center and keep it flat.

So I decide that I would cut the 2x3 into quarters. I used a good pair of scissors and had pretty clean cuts. I started sanding and got about halfway thru the grits and got a big streak on my blank. I had to start from the beginning to get it sanded out and got close to being done and it happened again.

What I figured out was the foam center was hitting the blank during sanding and with the friction melting onto the blank. When I looked at the pads I seen that some how MicroMesh undercuts the edges so the sanding surface sticks out past the foam core.

Since I don't have anyway to undercut the edge I ended up having to throw away the pads I had cut up, at least I got some use out of them before I runied them.

If you want smaller pads buy them that way don't try and cut them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I buy 3 x 4 pads and cut them into four 1 1/2 X 2 pads, I've never had a problem, but I use a serrated edge scissors, it makes a clean cut and pinches the foam inward from both sides.

kovalcik

I also cut up the 3x4 pads and have not had any problems. Only streaks I get are from the micromesh grit itself if the lathe is going too fast or I linger too long and let it heat up.

mhbeauford

I always use micromesh wet on acrylic, CA or other finishes, I don't use it on bare wood, other abrasives are better such as abranet. never have a burn or galling problem when wet sanding/ Use a spray bottle and just spray the pads.

Top Bottom