Casting with textiles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I'm currently trying to make a pen for my father that consists of a textile wrapped around a tube, and a service ribbon wrapped around that. I'm using a spray adhesive to attached the fabric to the tube, and the ribbon to the fabric. And at this point, it looks pretty good. But...

I want to cast it in polyester resin (Cast 'n Craft from A.C. Moore) in one of Subbie's molds. My first attempt was a catastrophic failure as the resin dissolved the adhesive. So now I'm thinking that I need to completely seal the fabric and ribbon first. I'm considering Mod Podge, CA or Mod Podge and then CA, but I don't have to many ribbons with which to experiment.

So my question is this: What method is best to seal cloth fabric and a service ribbon for casting in polyresin? Bear in mind, I do not have a pressure pot, so I could possibly have more issues to deal with later. :mad:

Thanks, all! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

I'm currently trying to make a pen for my father that consists of a textile wrapped around a tube, and a service ribbon wrapped around that. I'm using a spray adhesive to attached the fabric to the tube, and the ribbon to the fabric. And at this point, it looks pretty good. But...

I want to cast it in polyester resin (Cast 'n Craft from A.C. Moore) in one of Subbie's molds. My first attempt was a catastrophic failure as the resin dissolved the adhesive. So now I'm thinking that I need to completely seal the fabric and ribbon first. I'm considering Mod Podge, CA or Mod Podge and then CA, but I don't have to many ribbons with which to experiment.

So my question is this: What method is best to seal cloth fabric and a service ribbon for casting in polyresin? Bear in mind, I do not have a pressure pot, so I could possibly have more issues to deal with later. :mad:

Roger contact Rojo22 from our Ga bunch. His wife does an outstanding job of casting fabric I`m sure she would be glad to help you out. I`m not sure what her user name is.
Hope this helps.

KenV

Bob in SF has several current threads on casting fabric. Some have used cactus juice, and several recently have been using a different process.

mecompco

Roger, don't know if it will help, but I've done postage stamps and adhesive labels using PR (from Woodnwhimsies, if it matters) w/o pressure. I sprayed them down with the Mod-Podge spray, let them dry a couple of days, and they came out good (i.e. non-melted and no bubbles).

Regards,
Michael

pianomanpj

Roger contact Rojo22 from our Ga bunch. His wife does an outstanding job of casting fabric I`m sure she would be glad to help you out. I`m not sure what her user name is.
Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the lead, Perry. PM to Robert has been sent! :biggrin:

pianomanpj

Roger, don't know if it will help, but I've done postage stamps and adhesive labels using PR (from Woodnwhimsies, if it matters) w/o pressure. I sprayed them down with the Mod-Podge spray, let them dry a couple of days, and they came out good (i.e. non-melted and no bubbles).

Regards,
Michael

Hi, Michael,

What did you use to adhere the stamps to the tube? Were they unused self-adhesive stamps or did you glue them? My concern is that the spray may dissolved or otherwise react with the adhesive spray that I'm currently using.

Which type of the Mod Podge spray are you using? The gloss or the high-gloss?

Thanks, Mike! :biggrin:

Akula

I used the brush on type Mod Podge..the key is to let them dry well (several days). I've done photo's, cloth, stamps, thread ect and no problems...if they are dry before casting.

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Hi, Michael,

What did you use to adhere the stamps to the tube? Were they unused self-adhesive stamps or did you glue them? My concern is that the spray may dissolved or otherwise react with the adhesive spray that I'm currently using.

Which type of the Mod Podge spray are you using? The gloss or the high-gloss?

Thanks, Mike! :biggrin:

They are '70's era stamps (Portland Lighthouse). I used Elmer's cut w/water to adhere to the tube. I'll have to check on which spray Mod-Podge I used--got it at Wally World. Will check and let you know.

Michael

pianomanpj

I used the brush on type Mod Podge..the key is to let them dry well (several days). I've done photo's, cloth, stamps, thread ect and no problems...if they are dry before casting.

Several days? Could that equate to weeks because of the thickness of the material of the service ribbon?

Are there other options of which I'm not considering? Polyurethane or lacquer, maybe? I need to get this project done fairly soon!

MTViper

Roger,

I have done several fabric pens - mostly quilt material for my wife or fabric from military uniforms that would be almost as heavy as your ribbon material. I cut the fabric to match the size of the blank and rub the back with Goop adhesive. I make sure every part of the back of the fabric is covered then roll the tube across it, rolling up the fabric. I make sure the seam lays flat and may have to add a little glue to do it. Then I let it dry 1-2 days.

I cast it in PR without a pressure pot and aside from a very few bubbles, I have had no problems. Times I've tried to use other glues I've either floated the material in the PR or it's reacted with the glue and frosted everything. Never had that problem with Goop.

Steve

pianomanpj

Roger,

I have done several fabric pens - mostly quilt material for my wife or fabric from military uniforms that would be almost as heavy as your ribbon material. I cut the fabric to match the size of the blank and rub the back with Goop adhesive. I make sure every part of the back of the fabric is covered then roll the tube across it, rolling up the fabric. I make sure the seam lays flat and may have to add a little glue to do it. Then I let it dry 1-2 days.

I cast it in PR without a pressure pot and aside from a very few bubbles, I have had no problems. Times I've tried to use other glues I've either floated the material in the PR or it's reacted with the glue and frosted everything. Never had that problem with Goop.

Steve

Thanks for the tips, Steve! There are several varieties of Goop - is there a specific one that you use? Thanks!

Top Bottom