casting soil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I remember a pen made by a member made by casting sand that was glued down to the tube. I don't remember what resin he used though. You can try searching "sand of iwo jima"

sschering

I have been entertaining the thought of casting colored craft sand..

I use it as a filler/backing mixed with epoxy 10:1 when I make molds for composites.
The few spots you can see the sand embedded in the resin it does catch the light a little.

low_48

I use it as a filler/backing mixed with epoxy 10:1 when I make molds for composites.
The few spots you can see the sand embedded in the resin it does catch the light a little.

Casting the sand? You are talking about clear casting over a sand coating on the tube right? Otherwise, you'll be cutting a little grinding wheel with your chisels.

redneckmedic

I casted dirt from a pitcher's mound this summer. It likes to sink to the bottom of the mood, it's hell on your tools, but it turned out beautiful....if casting soil... big plus one for moisture control.

elody21

thanks for the replies.
Redneckmedic,
Have you posted a photo of the soil pen anywhere?
Thanks Alice

sschering

Casting the sand? You are talking about clear casting over a sand coating on the tube right? Otherwise, you'll be cutting a little grinding wheel with your chisels.

Yes it would be clear cast over a thin layer on a painted tube.
A solid sand cast would be hell on my tools..

Top Bottom