Casting Silk ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Has anyone here cast silk on tubes?

I have a number of neck ties from early in my career when I had to wear one. I think some of the patterns would make great looking pens.

Anyone tried this? Do you need to do anything specific to the silk before casting?

Thanks

Janster

Glue and Stew. Just give it a go, worst case is a cut up tie? I wish you luck!

plantman

Tim; I have found in the past that materials in general are hard to work with if you try to glue directly to a brass tube. They tend to strech and wrinkle as you apply them, and CA is out of the question if you want to get it straight before it drys. My solution is to lay the material on a piece of glass or plexglass and apply a light coat of Deco Pouge over the top of it, and let it dry. Now it is easy to cut your material to size without it streching or fraying. use the Deco Podge or any other glue that drys clear to apply the material to the tube. Let it dry overnight !! After that you can cast or apply CA to build up a clear layer over it. You can also crunch up your silk, once coated, to give a different effect. Perforated ribbon will also give you some unique effects. I use this method to do antique lace and Japanese papers also. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom