Casting Playing Cards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's a thread on the topic from a few years ago

JohnU

Like mentioned in the older post linked above, you have to delaminate them. Most playing cards are made in 3 layers… front, back, and middle ( which gives them their rigidity. Avoid paper or pvc cards. They won't work well with resin. I recently made a video demo which includes how I make and cast playing cards, for the upcoming Nov 5-6 virtual MPG + Small Turnings event. If you're going to view those demos, it will definitely give you some direction.

PENfinity

I use the travel deck size for my card pens.
I gently sand the cards with 220 grit paper to thin them down to make them flexible enough to wrap around the tube.
I then glue to the tube with CA
Hope this makes sense,
Mike
Very much so! I like that concept! So the sanding doesn't damage the cards? And do you seal them with anything to protect it from the resin?

PENfinity

Thank you for your response

PENfinity

Like mentioned in the older post linked above, you have to delaminate them. Most playing cards are made in 3 layers… front, back, and middle ( which gives them their rigidity. Avoid paper or pvc cards. They won't work well with resin. I recently made a video demo which includes how I make and cast playing cards, for the upcoming Nov 5-6 virtual MPG + Small Turnings event. If you're going to view those demos, it will definitely give you some direction.
Thank you very much John! Yes I have been delaminating them but my issue has been the resin seeping thru the paper. I'm using Alumilite resin. I need to know how to prevent the resin from destroying the card after I delaminate. I did register to attend the upcoming MPG event and I'm so excited! I will most definitely check out your links.

PENfinity

Thank you very much John! Yes I have been delaminating them but my issue has been the resin seeping thru the paper. I'm using Alumilite resin. I need to know how to prevent the resin from destroying the card after I delaminate. I did register to attend the upcoming MPG event and I'm so excited! I will most definitely check out your links.

PENfinity

Thank you

Check out Leaping Lemur Craftworks to get an idea for the casting of cards. They do a lot of that and may be willing to offer some pointers if you reach out them. The owner is a friendly guy I have met a couple of times at shows.

wwwgregn21

John, is your video demo posted somewhere?

JohnU

No, sorry. it was only available for the event and the 30 days after.

Stick to using vinyl cards and not paper. Paper cards will show the discoloration from resin soaking in. The vinyl with not.

Top Bottom