casting for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emtmike

Is there anybody out there who would be willing to do some casting for me? I have no idea how to do it but do want to learn but first i want to see if I can sell my idea. What I want to do is sell pen's to some of my fellow fire fighters. I would be able to send you the material from a set of gear and the tubes needed. I would want them casted in clear. I would pay for your time and the stuff, not sure what its called, and you could send it back to me. I would be looking for a few Barons and a few Cigar pens. Anybody interested?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

If you are talking casting parts in clear I have a set of molds dedicated to Cigar pens. How many are you wanting done?

mecompco

Hi Mike. I'm sorry but the only tube-in molds I have are for slim/comfort and Sierras. Not to mention that I'm still sorting the casting thing out myself. How are things in Bucksport? We usually make it down there for a day trip during the summer.

Regards,
Michael

warthog

I can help you with that. Depending on how many you will need of what type pens you are requesting...I have molds for all types. Cost of materials and shipping...can't give you a definite figure without a little more information.

emtmike

I can help you with that. Depending on how many you will need of what type pens you are requesting...I have molds for all types. Cost of materials and shipping...can't give you a definite figure without a little more information.

I think I would be looking at 10 Barons and 10 cigars. My zip is 04416 for shipping. I would send you the material (nomex) and tubes.

Sabaharr

The question I have to ask is what are you planning to have cast into the blank. It has to be something very flat or it will stick out of the resin when turned, most notably on the ends where thinnest. Will you be doing the attaching of the items to the tube prior to shipment? If everything is prepped just like you want it I can cast the blanks in PR Clear for $5 a pair on the Cigar blanks and ship 10 sets back to you for another $5 priority mail. I don't think I care to attach your items to your blanks for you as you know better how you want that done than I ever could.

emtmike

The question I have to ask is what are you planning to have cast into the blank. It has to be something very flat or it will stick out of the resin when turned, most notably on the ends where thinnest. Will you be doing the attaching of the items to the tube prior to shipment? If everything is prepped just like you want it I can cast the blanks in PR Clear for $5 a pair on the Cigar blanks and ship 10 sets back to you for another $5 priority mail. I don't think I care to attach your items to your blanks for you as you know better how you want that done than I ever could.

What I want attached to the tubes is a material called Nomex. Its the material that firefighting gear is made of. I have gotten snake skin cast in clear blanks before but I have no idea how its done. I was hoping you would know.

Sabaharr

I cast snake skin myself and when I was working with liquid hydrogen at NASA I frequently wore Nomex myself. Its pretty thick. This would leave extremely thin areas of resin at the tube ends on Cigar pens so they would have to be turned down thick then sanded to finished proportions. A lot of sanding. Also there would be a noticeable seam. Roughing up the tube and gluing on the Nomex with CA would be the best bet. It would be near impossible to match up neatly without an overlap but the added thickness at that point would be a problem so it would have to be flat all the way around. On the ends of the tubes you could leave a little overlap that can be trimmed off at casting and smoothed when the end prep is done. I don't want to try to match seams with Nomex though. I just don't think I could do a good enough job of neatly matching it that the guys deserve. Snake skin is easy because it has a pattern that absorbs the straight line and is extremely thin. If you can glue on the material I will be happy to cast them for you.

Top Bottom