Casting Dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

Hey! I just stumbled upon loads and loads of powdered paint, mostly "tempera" of all different colors and i was wondering if this stuff works as a suitable dye. I also found some "Glass Metallics" that range from black to white and coarse to fine and was wondering if this stuff weakened pr at all, specifically michaels cc? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

Just in case you guys were wondering, it does work as a dye, but i haven't turned the blanks so i don't know of any residual affects...

glycerine

I would imagine it's just a powdered pigment like PearlEx or any other powders used to color resins, but I've never used it, so I can't say for sure... let us know what you find out when turning...

ldubia

Hey! I just stumbled upon loads and loads of powdered paint, mostly "tempera" of all different colors and i was wondering if this stuff works as a suitable dye.

I watched a tutorial a few weeks ago where the guy used tempera powder to color his resin. He had no problem with it. He was using the standard casting acrylic found in craft stores though. I can't imagine why it would be too much different then other casting materials. I could be wrong but pigment is pigment. It is just a powder that gets soaked with the liquid when mixed to create the color.

Jgrden

I just found a bunch of Duncan color paints (liquids) that I am going to test on Aluminite. Does not say what base is used - water or oil. They are used for glazing porcelain.

workinforwood

I don't know about if the tempura is good or not..seems to me it is powdercoating paint. It requires heat. I have a jar of really cool green that I bought from a clothing place and it is a heat activated dye, and I tried it and it did work but also did not. It turned the plastic green but it also had a dirty look and feel to it, it was quite strange. It was like the pen had dust on it and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to go away, but it wasn't dust of course. I could be wrong on your product though..maybe it works.

This place though, all there stuff works, and they have some cool things..I buy a few things from them now and again..just sucks they are in PA and so they have to charge taxes. http://www.smooth-on.com/

Jmhoff10500

thanks for posting! I have turned 2 test ones so far and they have turned out great! the colors are much deeper and richer than the testors paint i have recently used...

I don't know about if the tempura is good or not..seems to me it is powdercoating paint. It requires heat. I have a jar of really cool green that I bought from a clothing place and it is a heat activated dye, and I tried it and it did work but also did not. It turned the plastic green but it also had a dirty look and feel to it, it was quite strange. It was like the pen had dust on it and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to go away, but it wasn't dust of course. I could be wrong on your product though..maybe it works.

This place though, all there stuff works, and they have some cool things..I buy a few things from them now and again..just sucks they are in PA and so they have to charge taxes. http://www.smooth-on.com/

While they are the distributor for Smooth-on, but you may want to check Reynolds AM in Chicago. It is closer than PA.

http://www.reynoldsam.com/locations.php

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
John, the Duncans are water based if I remember.. Alumilite won't like it.
There are some of the Duncan stains that might be solvent based, but I
don't really remember that well. Most of them are water based though.

Jmhoff10500

no pics you didn't cast anything:rolleyes:

My last batch... Just remember that they are in rough form and until i get a new sanding pad for my sander, they probably wont look very good... Thanks!

PC230269.jpg

Jmhoff10500

Ive got about 2 lbs of each color if anybody wants some samples, i can hook you up... and i can try and get a hold of the art place and see if they can give me a source of where to get it. maybe we can get some trading going... if people like it, and the art place knows where to get it, i can probably supply it for one tenth the price of the alternative resin dyes... after all 2lb of bulk paint dye would translate to over 100 dollars of name brand resin dyes

glycerine

Ive got about 2 lbs of each color if anybody wants some samples, i can hook you up... and i can try and get a hold of the art place and see if they can give me a source of where to get it. maybe we can get some trading going... if people like it, and the art place knows where to get it, i can probably supply it for one tenth the price of the alternative resin dyes... after all 2lb of bulk paint dye would translate to over 100 dollars of name brand resin dyes

I wouldn't mind giving some a try. After the holidays, when things slow down, we'll talk...

Jmhoff10500

Yeah! they are mostly all just one piece of wood and i wanted to get the cross grain contrast between the sapwood and the bark. Thanks for the comment!

Top Bottom