Casting demo practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I have been asked to do a demo on casting pen blanks. It is my 2nd time being the speaker type guy. I learned what little I know from Jonathon Brooks, still not to his level of casting. I figured I better get into practice again as I have been without resin for about a month. Here is what I have done so far this week. Comments and critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
217b9a3a.jpg

9a5d96fd.jpg

3203f774.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

Look great. My wife has been making some castings for me. Is there a difference when turning by using polyester resin blanks over Epoxy blanks. I am brand new to turning (2 pens under my belt). The overall finished blank seems the same in both density and hardness when cured, but the epoxy is very difficult to get out of the mold.... 1/2 in pvc sch 40. I appreciate and advice.

Drstrangefart

Look great. My wife has been making some castings for me. Is there a difference when turning by using polyester resin blanks over Epoxy blanks. I am brand new to turning (2 pens under my belt). The overall finished blank seems the same in both density and hardness when cured, but the epoxy is very difficult to get out of the mold.... 1/2 in pvc sch 40. I appreciate and advice.

You will get MUCH better results with the PR. As well as it just being easier to use. I've done epoxy, and it has some issues that I don't like. It also mutes the explosion of colors you can get out of PearlEx pretty severely.

Simplex

Most home casters use PR and/or Alumalite. Since epoxy is a strong adhesive, I can image that it would be extremely difficult to get of the most. I use PR with all my casts.

firewhatfire

I have a few more color combos to get done. Then I will start on the gold leaf ones. I need to wrap a few tubes to cast also. Gotta have time to get me all done. 2 demos to do and 2-3 shows by November. I think I might be busy for a few days.

Top Bottom