Casting deer jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TexasTaxi

Has anyone done it?

It would be similar to the gator jaws but the teeth stay in these.
The teeth are tougher than the bone, so I'm guessing these would be a little tricky to turn.

I've got a basket full of them, if someone is wanting to try them out, I'd be willing to swap some for a few finished blanks (maybe 10 for 2).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

I'll give it a try but wouldn't recommend keeping the teeth in place. First, I don't think they will look good and second, I think the density difference between the teeth and the rest of the blank may cause chipout issues or worse, catastrophic failure. I'd hate to get hit in the forehead by a flying deer tooth.

Tom

Justturnin

I have some Jaw I have been debating this over. I dont think the teeth can stay and from whe I see I wonder if the actual bone is too thin.

bitshird

The teeth are way harder than the bone, and would most likely cause the bone to break up into tiny pieces, I think they would turn, just fill the teeth sockets with crushed Trustone or real Malachite or Turquoise, I've got a couple of skulls around, but I don't think I have any lower jaw bones, but it's the middle of season here so I'll see what I can find at my Antler supply store. (processing places)

Younka

I think you should give it a shot, I think it would look cool if it worked, and also since you got a basket full you dont really have anything to lose!!

bitshird

I think you should give it a shot, I think it would look cool if it worked, and also since you got a basket full you dont really have anything to lose!!

I wish we could get some big old Canadian White Tail size down here, I have a dog bigger than most bucks around here even some big old western Mule deer.
I know it wouldn't carry the mystique of Alligator jaw bone, but what about something with a larger lower jaw, like Moose or even Elk?? and I also wonder if it's as hard as gator??

Rick P

Cant speak to Moose or elk but Walrus jaw bone is one of my favorites to turn! Course I use the soild portion of the jaw without casting. Moose is a BIG critter I doubt the pen would be big enough to have more then a tiny bit of bone with some rather large voids.

Top Bottom