Casting Contest-Colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Color Casting Contest
Sylvanite.jpg
Winner from last year, Sylvainte.​

Each contestant will cast a blank using pigments of any kind.

The Color Casting Contest will begin Feb. 01, 2014 and will end Feb. 18th, 2014 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. NO EXCEPTIONS!​

How to Enter:

You must use the entry form provided when submitting your pen. Any pen posted to this thread or anyone revealing their work will be disqualified.​

Who Determines the Winners?:

A public poll will be created with all entries for your peers to vote on. Voting will begin on Feb. 19th until Feb. 23 at 8 pm Eastern Standard Time. The top 3 vote recipients will then be entered in the finalists poll which will begin Feb. 23 and go through through Feb. 27th at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time. The winners will be revealed Feb 28.​

Rules for the Color Casting Contest:

1 - Each blank can have as many colors as you can physically cast. We will be looking for good color separation, flow of colors, and overall aesthetics of the pen. The pen must be made entirely of pigmented resin.

2 - Remember that this is a PEN turning forum. Each submission must be made into a pen! All submissions must be a component pen (kit). There are no restrictions on type or style as long as it is a component pen. We hope to see Rollerballs, Fountain pens, and other "Prestigious" component sets. We want to see your best casts shine! Component-less pens or kit modifications will not be eligible (including swapping out pimp stones, center bands and finial tops).​

3 - To enter the contest you must use the entry form given. Remember that you will be judged based on your photographs submitted. Limit of 2 photographs. Please keep your photos clean of objects that could distract from your pens beauty.​

4 - Any pen shown publicly (Not just on IAP) prior to Feb. 01, 2014 will be ineligible. Also any entry shown publicly during the bash on ANY public site will be disqualified. Do NOT post your pen in the thread!​

5 - Pens made with the aid of lasers, decorative lathes or CNC machines will be ineligible. We want to see unique & creative pens made by YOU!​

6 - The pen AND blank must be made ONLY by the person submitting the entry. The only exception is if your kids help you with the process.​

7 - To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivilant). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to sucessfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not elegible to participate in any IAP activities.​

Prizes

First: Sterling silver Roller ball kit from Silver Pen Parts valued at $185
Second: Turning tool from Easy Wood Tools valued at $90
Third: $50 gift certificate from WoodnWhimsies and a16oz casting kit from Alumilite valued at $20.

If there are any questions or concerns about your entry please contact me via PM. .​

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

Could be due to the weather... it's entirely too cold for me to attempt any casting or to even consider being outside for any length of time.
And/or the long list of rules.... 2, 3 and 7 being the most prohibitive.

PSNCO

My son, TJ, just did his first cast. One of his colors immediately set and then half way through the brick the 2nd of 4 colors gelled and set too quickly. We'll see tomorrow when I cut the brick if he had an accidental AWESOME pour or a "Let's start over pour".

My entry will be a challenge as I've only turned 2-3 pens before this.

Dan Masshardt

My son, TJ, just did his first cast. One of his colors immediately set and then half way through the brick the 2nd of 4 colors gelled and set too quickly. We'll see tomorrow when I cut the brick if he had an accidental AWESOME pour or a "Let's start over pour". My entry will be a challenge as I've only turned 2-3 pens before this.

Rule 6 does say maybe your kids can help. ;-)

PSNCO

My son, TJ, just did his first cast. One of his colors immediately set and then half way through the brick the 2nd of 4 colors gelled and set too quickly. We'll see tomorrow when I cut the brick if he had an accidental AWESOME pour or a "Let's start over pour". My entry will be a challenge as I've only turned 2-3 pens before this.

Rule 6 does say maybe your kids can help. ;-)

Then we could only have one entry. If he pours his own and turns it and I pour my own and turn it then we can double our chances in the contest and if one of us places that one can have bragging rights in the house! :biggrin:

Buzzzz4

You trouble makers!

Casters! Come one, come all. Lots of room for your casting creations placed on a non-modified component set aka kit.

robutacion

Mate, if I'm allowed, and from what I heard from most of the guys that could be doing some castings, it seems that the cold conditions have been and still are totally adverse to any casting attempts, it may be a combination of other reasons but, I was reading these threads for the first time today, and I got the feeling that nature is not helping you guys much, in this case.

Is also my belief that, 98% of the possible entries would come from USA and Canada, I don't know what the other members from Australia and other warmer countries are doing but, I would prefer to keep myself out of these contests HOWEVER, and for a long time, I have demonstrated that, casting is not that difficult and that, anything can be used...!

My primordial intention to try new castings all the time, and share all the information with the IAP members, is based on the principal that, if I can demonstrate how easy is to find/gather "things" that can be used for casting, and showing some of the basic principles of casting, many others would feel influenced/motivated to have a go and try it for themselves and have some fun in the process, as they may be surprised at what they can do...!

Based on all this, I was hoping that my work would be seen most useful, in times like this, I would expect a lot more people to throw a few things together and show us all, of what they are capable of. No one is expecting works of art, with casting, not even the "experts" can always be that sure so, there is no reason why you guys and gals, should be concerned about the blanks being judged in any different way than, anything else we share normally share here so, lets try to get so castings done here, so that we can all enjoy seeing them...!

Best of luck, :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Quality Pen

I haven't even turned a pen yet. The stuff is coming soon.

But let me tell you. I am going to be casting my own blanks!

Looking forward to this contest soon, lol! Or a new one rather as this will end soon!

Buzzzz4

Brooks! I took over the running of this so you have a chance. No excuses! But you have quite the uphill battle from what I am seeing entered so far.

Phunky_2003

Got mine submitted. Still no camera so had to use my phone, so pics aren't of the best quality. But since I put in the effort..... maybe Brooks can get a good laugh at my attempt.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I wanted to enter this one but I ran out of time. I will do the next best thing, I will go vote.

Top Bottom