Casting colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

I have been casting pr blanks for a while and I am somewhat disappointed with how translucent the blanks turn. I color the tubes and still - not super psyched.

I am wondering if I am being to stingy with the pearlex. I typically put what I call a dab on the end of a Popsicle stick - 2 dabs has been my formula. To try and explain: about 1/4" of the end of the Popsicle stick =1 dab.

Watching Fool4Peppers videos - he uses a heaping mix of the pearl ex.

What are other folks using for their pr blanks?

Thanks for your input.

PJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vanngo5d

How many ounces of resin are you using ?

I put about 3 to 5 of the those dabs per 2oz of resin. But I use mica's not pearlex.

Don Vann

Brooks803

yeah you need to up the amount of pearlX. There are other mica powders out there that are just as nice and loads cheaper. Coastalscents, TBK, and The Conservatorie are my top 3.

A good way to tell if your blank will be more opaque is once you're done mixing in your mica pull out the popsicle stick. If you can see the wood through the resin/mica you don't have enough. If it coats the stick well then you "should" be good. Transparancy also depends on how thin you're turning the blank.

Another option would be to reverse paint the blank instead of the tube. It could really make the difference with the blanks you currently make and might not want to change! Here's an example:

Purposely translucent blank drilled out and turned down to 1mm wall thickness:

DSC02807700x335_zps1c8dd4dd.jpg

Same blank reverse painted black:

DSC02816700x305_zpsecd8490e.jpg

Imagine what painting with Red or Yellow or Orange might look like...

Erik831

yeah you need to up the amount of pearlX. There are other mica powders out there that are just as nice and loads cheaper. Coastalscents, TBK, and The Conservatorie are my top 3.

A good way to tell if your blank will be more opaque is once you're done mixing in your mica pull out the popsicle stick. If you can see the wood through the resin/mica you don't have enough. If it coats the stick well then you "should" be good. Transparancy also depends on how thin you're turning the blank.

Another option would be to reverse paint the blank instead of the tube. It could really make the difference with the blanks you currently make and might not want to change! Here's an example:

Purposely translucent blank drilled out and turned down to 1mm wall thickness:

Same blank reverse painted black:

Imagine what painting with Red or Yellow or Orange might look like...

Nice blanks Jon , what do you mean by reverse painting the blank instead of the tube??

Erik

OOPS

Wow, Brooks, that is stunning! I had no idea of how much difference could be made by adding a different color paint when reverse painted!

Thanks for the quickie tutorial.

Pjohnson

thank you - I have tried reverse painting on the blank and the tube.

The "dabs" are to 1oz of resin. Based on your blanks I definitely need to add more. That is a good tip with the popsicle stick - Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom