casting blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I thought I would try my hand at casting, but didn't want to do anything too complicated. I bought one of the resin saver Gent size molds and thought I would give it a go.

What do I need?

Do I have to have a pressure pot or can you just pour your resin (or whatever it is) into the mold and let it harden?

I see folks talking about baking them in the oven or a toaster oven. Do you have to do that as well?

I guess I will check the forums now that I have asked my stupid questions

bruce119

I thought I would try my hand at casting, but didn't want to do anything too complicated. I bought one of the resin saver Gent size molds and thought I would give it a go.

What do I need?

Do I have to have a pressure pot or can you just pour your resin (or whatever it is) into the mold and let it harden?

I see folks talking about baking them in the oven or a toaster oven. Do you have to do that as well?

I guess I will check the forums now that I have asked my stupid questions

I will give a few tips on the resin saver molds. I have changed my techniques to adapt to the R.S. molds. First off no pressure no more than about 5-10 psi you will hurt the mold. The mold shrinks under pressure and the tubes cut into the silicone (I am working on a modification that will enable you to use pressure still experimental more latter)

Now How I pore my resin. First I warm the mold with the tubes in ready to cast to about 125 deg. At the same time I pore my PR resin and put the cup into a tub of hot water about 100 deg. after 10 minutes of warming I add the MEKP careful to dry up the water. Water and resin is very bad. Carefully and slowly mix the MEKP in avoiding as bubbles as you can. I use 3 drops per once 5 onces of resin is just the rite amount for a R.S. mold. Then slowly pore and set over night. The top will still be a little sticky in the morning. I just put mine outside mold and all in the sun for about 3 hours and that takes care of it.

That's how I do it.

aggromere

thanks for the tips guys. I just don't know how anyone would learn how to do anything without these forums. Everyone is always helpful and great!

Top Bottom