Cast Euc. Platypus burl box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Got this one finished this afternoon after lots of grief. I don't think I like this resin cast as much as I thought I would.:frown:

Was a bit of fun and came from a 4in cube and finished up 3.5in tall and 3.75in wide and polished with Shellawax glow.

C & C welcome. and thanks for looking.

Bob.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

I like it. I think I would like it even more, if the lid was the color of the resin in the body and not so "glow". But it's a very nice piece regardless.

SDB777

I like it. I think I would like it even more, if the lid was the color of the resin in the body and not so "glow". But it's a very nice piece regardless.

I'm thinking the same thing.

But on the brighter side, you won't have a problem finding that lid! Did you use a filler during the casting to reduce the amount of resin? Did you use a pressure pot too?

Scott (still an A++) B

robutacion

I'm thinking the same thing.

But on the brighter side, you won't have a problem finding that lid! Did you use a filler during the casting to reduce the amount of resin? Did you use a pressure pot too?

Scott (still an A++) B

Hi Scott & Chris

I'm not letting my good friend Bob get a "flogging" on this one, as any of the faults mentioned about his/this piece, ,are my doing and responsibility, as I was the one to created this blank and many others he has from the same wood, the Termite carved Platypus gum, shown here on one of my threads, so time ago.

Where I run into troubles was the nasty cracking that I had on some I made before, from a single pour. The carved wood had very large picks and deep valley's, I wanted to use the whole height of the picks and fill it to allow a little extra resin at the top but, 4" square mold is quite a big mold to pour more than a certain quantity/amount of PR/Polyester resin that produces an enormous amount of heat when setting, forcing it to crack...!

What I done here was to make a 2 pour to void that heat problem, but where the 2 mistakes were made was first, I used the wrong colour Pearlex powder on the second pour, which could have been prevented if I had mixed enough quantity of resin to reach the final height I wanted but, separate the resin in 2 containers and then put the catalyst on one and leave the other un-catalyzed for later. The second mistake was that, I left if in the pressure pot for too long and the top surface dried off, instead of staying "guey"/sticky, preventing the almost straight line in between layers...!:mad:

The blanks were made for jewellery boxes and I tried to make them as high as possible however, the second layer could have been cut off and not used, making it quite lower but, that is always an individual choice, Bob decided to use it, as I would also but, after seeing it now, and seeing how much the colour difference is (worse than before turned...!), I would have preferred to have it cut off and discarded or used for something else...!

Now, we are talking about personal choices here, and work that is done with the best of intentions but that, endup slightly different than planned. Bob's workmanship is perfect, he worked on something that was not his doing so, he could have decided to not use that 2th layer but he did so, I'm sorry mate, for any "slack" you get as a result, you are not at fault, I am...!

PS: These are not easy to turn, I reckon you done a heck of a job with it Bob, the colour difference it make it just "different", that's all...!:wink:

PS-2: Hey Bob, what about I make a new lid for it with some of the same wood and the colour of the bottom part...??? that would be easy enough for me to do, you would have to cut it down a little to remove the different green on the base lip and then turn a new lit for it, that way, everyone would be happy, huh...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

Thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated and very welcome. After all C & C are welcome according to the message.

I do think that on second thoughts, that I could have done it differently, but then I like to make UNUSUAL things. That's just me, weird I guess.

The time it goes for sale will determine whether it was a popular decision on my part, or not.

I can always go for another top at a later stage, if I have to. But that is in the future.

No George, you don't need to make another piece for a lid. Will see what happens.
My wife Betty likes it so there must be someone else who likes it too.

Bob.

Hendu3270

Now, we are talking about personal choices here, and work that is done with the best of intentions but that, endup slightly different than planned. Bob's workmanship is perfect, he worked on something that was not his doing so, he could have decided to not use that 2th layer but he did so, I'm sorry mate, for any "slack" you get as a result, you are not at fault, I am...!

PS: These are not easy to turn, I reckon you done a heck of a job with it Bob, the colour difference it make it just "different", that's all...!:wink:

Personally I say no one is at fault. The bright color is different I agree, and so are people and their personal tastes. The bright green jumps out at me and takes away from the overall piece a bit, but I would be proud if this were to have come off my lathe.

I enjoyed reading about your process for creating the blank. I'm about to wet my feet into the casting arena as well and did not know you could have heat build up with larger than pen-size pieces. Would this blank not have worked without a pressure pot? Would it have worked with just a 4" section of pvc pipe with the wood and PR poured in and allowed to harden up for a few days?

Top Bottom