cast aluminum shavings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

while cleaning the shop yesterday I got the idea to use some of the aluminum shavings and cast them in pr. casting looked good but was a pain in the a$$ to turn, won't do that again here is what it looks like

Jack

Attachments

• 02 002.jpg
    02 002.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 389
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Understand that! I made a casting out of some decorative sand I found at Michaels. It wasn't a blank....... It was a brick that I created!!!

Nice looking pen even though it was difficult to turn.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great!

Out of curiosity, what were the main issues with turning it that gave you grief?

DozerMite

Banned
I've done it a couple times, but wasn't impressed with the results. Even used brass and copper shavings as well.
I didn't have any problems turning or finishing. What gave you trouble?

GouletPens

I made a pen out of cast steel wool that looks very similar. Probably a little easier to cast, but man did it take a while to turn!

InfusionChairmanSteelWool-2.jpg

djpnevans

I like the look. I was on the lathe at work today turning some brass but I put the shavings in the bin(man what a waste).
David

jack barnes

Eric when turning as the aluminum got real small it tended to come loose and leave small holes. I had to fill the holes with ca let it cure and turn. It took 4 to 5 hours to finish. I have a couple more blanks, I'll bring to the meeting if you want to try to turn one.

Jack

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Eric when turning as the aluminum got real small it tended to come loose and leave small holes. I had to fill the holes with ca let it cure and turn. It took 4 to 5 hours to finish. I have a couple more blanks, I'll bring to the meeting if you want to try to turn one.

Jack

Sure, bring one along and I'll give it a try and see for myself how annoying it is! So far I have yet to turn any aluminum but I soon will give metal pens a try as I just ordered a D chucking reamer.

Top Bottom