Casein on a Falcon...with a casein cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marksman

marksman

Here is a pen I turned this afternoon. It is a Marksman Falcon with an alternative casein blank. Instead of the usual Falcon cap, I turned a cap out of casein.

MWI-Caisen Falcon1_800x600.jpg

MWI-Caisen Falcon2_800x600.jpg

MWI-Caisen Falcon3_800x600.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Sampson

Mark,
This is a great looking pen! Casein is one of my favorite materials to use, and your treatment on the cap is really nice. Difficult to do?.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

turncrazy43

Very, very nice Mark. Casein always looks great.

mrburls

That looks really good with casein material. I've got a few blanks of casein I found a week or two ago and I'm going to have to match that up with one of your kits I have.
Keith "mrburls"

marksman

Mark,
This is a great looking pen! Casein is one of my favorite materials to use, and your treatment on the cap is really nice. Difficult to do?

Not at all. I had a tube in the shop that fit tightly over the twist piece on the mechanism. Ok, we all get lucky sometimes. I cut about a 3/8" length of that and drilled a hole in the blank, "O" size, I believe, to the proper depth. Then I used a 3/8" drill to countersink so that the mechanism would recess into the cap. Glued the tube and turned it down to size and shape. I mic'ed the size since I didn't feel like turning down a bushing. Then polished the OD before parting the piece off. Then after parting it off, I hand sanded down the end and polished it by hand. The kitless guys probably have more advanced ways of doing that but hand polishing worked for me. That's about it.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Is it necesary to paint the brass tube and the drilled blank? Or is the blank opaque enough that painting isn't necessary?

marksman

Is it necesary to paint the brass tube and the drilled blank? Or is the blank opaque enough that painting isn't necessary?

I did not paint the tube or the blank. It looks good but in the right (or wrong) light you can barely see a slight variation in the color. Probably going to reverse paint the blank next time.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I did not paint the tube or the blank. It looks good but in the right (or wrong) light you can barely see a slight variation in the color. Probably going to reverse paint the blank next time.
Thanks Mark! That tells me that I haven't painted my tube in vain, at least!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I love it - don't know that I'm ready to try that material yet but its on my watch list.

Alternate casein is turner-friendly! Try it.

Regular casein is more finicky--careful in "facing" the blanks, especially. The slightest imperfection can result in a crack, much later in the life of the pen.

Great looking pen, MARK!!! The finial really finishes it off!
Ed

Top Bottom