Casein, Blackwood, Buckeye, Redwood...MIX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Here's a pen I finished up today after a lot of head scratching. I spent about four hours working out the dynamics of what I wanted, and how to go about designing it. What you see here is the result.

Majestic kit, Alt Casein (From Exotics), Buckeye Burl, Redwood Lace (From Exotics), African Blackwood, and aluminum accents. The cuts are at a 45 degree angle for those who want to know. This was a real pain in the butt to make despite looking like a simple design. I'm just happy it's done:bulgy-eyes:

5419824996_239bcfef28_z.jpg

Have a good weekend...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Thank you! I have another one like this in the shop without the Alt Casein that is showing promise.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think there needs to be a Freestyle contest project going on in the shop.:wink: You certainly have the talent to do it.

keithkarl2007

Thats one mean looking pen. Nice work. Do you get your kits from a supplier in Germany or from back home?

wiset1

Thats one mean looking pen. Nice work. Do you get your kits from a supplier in Germany or from back home?

I just get my kits from PSI. They ship to my military APO box without issue so I stick with them for the time being. I will say though that the Brad point bit that came with the starter kit keeps blowing out my blanks so it's time to buy a different bit.

:biggrin:

wiset1

How in the world do you do that. Great workmanship!!!!
Please teach me.
Roger

I think I sprouted some grey hair after making this one. It was a bit of a pain in the butt, and I had CA glue all over the place:laugh:

keithkarl2007

I just get my kits from PSI. They ship to my military APO box without issue so I stick with them for the time being. I will say though that the Brad point bit that came with the starter kit keeps blowing out my blanks so it's time to buy a different bit.

:biggrin:

Colt bits should be very reasonably priced in Germany.

wiset1

Not with the way the Euro is against the U.S. Dollar. Can't wait to get back home where a buck is a buck.

Akula

This is a prime example of quality and craftsmanship. I was reading about high end pens and why no one wants to share, so I did some google searches. I got to tell you. This is top notch to me. This is so much better to me, than most I found during my search today. You didn't have to add in bling, you took your skills and made it happen. Well done! This would be a piece to be proud of owning.

Again, well done and thanks for taking the time to share.

Jgrden

That is an expensive kit and I can understand why you stood with it until the end. It is a magnificent looking instrument.

phillywood

Tim, very nice looking pen, and you did a very nice job on it. Colors and finish is well done. I wish we could get more of our military personnel aboard with some of these kind of hobby to spend quality time in the shop with their friends to keep their minds off of the job all the time.
Tim, I thought about what you said about the Euro Vs Dollar, would it make a different that you pay form your account in US and just have it shipped to you where ever you are, then you don't have to feel the exchange rate?

wiset1

Tim, very nice looking pen, and you did a very nice job on it. Colors and finish is well done. I wish we could get more of our military personnel aboard with some of these kind of hobby to spend quality time in the shop with their friends to keep their minds off of the job all the time.
Tim, I thought about what you said about the Euro Vs Dollar, would it make a different that you pay form your account in US and just have it shipped to you where ever you are, then you don't have to feel the exchange rate?

I've slowly been able to get a portion of the community involved and interested in turning. Most people are like.."You MADE that pen...How?" so I go into it a bit and get them interested. I also attend local art shows to show my work (Paintings, Photography, and pens). I do this to promote our local Arts & Crafts shop on base since most Soldiers have no idea it's there.

As far as the using my account...if I buy something from the U.S. it is quoted to me in dollars. If I buy something from the U.K. it's in pounds, Germany...Euro. They don't care where your bank or account is, you pay the "LOCAL" price. That's why I search out the U.S. shops while I'm stationed over here.

Thanks

wiset1

This is a prime example of quality and craftsmanship. I was reading about high end pens and why no one wants to share, so I did some google searches. I got to tell you. This is top notch to me. This is so much better to me, than most I found during my search today. You didn't have to add in bling, you took your skills and made it happen. Well done! This would be a piece to be proud of owning.

Again, well done and thanks for taking the time to share.

Thank You for the feedback. I don't know about high end or low end...I just have fun turning and figuring things out. My wife thinks I'm a perfectionist because I labor under the delusion that the finish has to look like glass. :clown: My Grandfather taught me as a young child that you don't half @ss anything in life so this is how I start every project and what I teach my son. Again, thank you for the feedback...it's what keeps me coming back.:bananen_smilies046:

wiset1

QUICK QUESTION....What kind of display case would you put this pen in? PSI has some Rosewood cases with a glass top that look nice, but I was wondering what others thought???

Bill Sampson

Tim,

Great looking pen! I do understand the time taken to make it "perfect" and it was time well spent.
I use the PSI display box for most of my "high end" pens and they show very well. I use both the black and rosewood.
I don't sell many of my pens, but they seem to be accepted well as gifts.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

wiset1

Thank you Bill! Being fairly new to turning it's always nice to hear what other seasoned turners use for display. I have a look at the black one and see if it has a better look than the rosewood one I have here.

wiset1

Hey Tim,

Beau - ti - ful.

WOW. Good job. One of you best I would say.

Thanks Branden,

I agree...I think this is one of the best ones to date. I'm finishing up another one that looks like this one , but without the Casein. I just have to finish up the cap, then I'll post pictures.

wiset1

I want to thank everyone for the feedback and the kind words. I just have so much fun in the shop that I've seen my other hobbies take a back seat. I haven't been metal detecting in about 6 months now...I guess turning has become more fun than finding treasure ;-)

Top Bottom