Case Solved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I misplaced one of my pens a couple years ago. I had decided I must have given it away as I have many of my pens. Today I was out weeding my little hill side vineyard and walla, look what I found! It has been buried in the dirt for a long time. Surprisingly the nib held up well. I think it could still be shined up. The click end didn't fair so well. The wood didn't do so good either.

The alternate ivory made the journey though.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I misplaced one of my pens a couple years ago. I had decided I must have given it away as I have many of my pens. Today I was out weeding my little hill side vineyard and walla, look what I found! It has been buried in the dirt for a long time. Surprisingly the nib held up well. I think it could still be shined up. The click end didn't fair so well. The wood didn't do so good either.

The alternate ivory made the journey though.

Well, at least you now know what happened to it...!

I don't believe that 99.9% of the pens made in our days, or long ago, would do much better than that one, in such situation, an all aluminium would be the only think that could have survived in better shape, but not without the need for some serious restoration work...!

Some piece if mind now, huh...???

Cheers
George

NotURMailman

It would be a fun experiment to disassemble it, drizzel some think CA into the cracked wood and them wrap tightly in tape. Leave it overnight and then turn the tape off very carefully. Then flood it with thin CA. Turn back to size, and reassemble with new parts if it lives. I think it would look pretty neat if you could pull it off.

Russknan

Paul, I think there is a great opportunity to have some fun with that pen. If it were mine, I'd try to get some thin CA into the wooden parts to try to hold them together. After that was dry, I'd fill in with thick CA. Then, holding my breath, I'd try to dissemble the hardware, put it back on the lathe, and do some more layers of CA, followed by MM, etc. , but only to a satin finish. You might have to taper the ends a bit to get it back onto a new clicker kit. Maybe even see whether you can salvage the nib, etc. The object would be to FEATURE the distressed aspect, even if you had to booger up/paint a new one. You would be left with a very unique pen. Finally, comes the best part: Make up some elaborate tall tale about a mummified "starving" writer from the early 1900s being found in an attic with this pen clutched in his bony fingers and an unsold manuscript. By good fortune YOU got the pen . . . ! Russ

Top Bottom