Cartridge Pens from Grandfathers Funeral

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from randbcrafts

randbcrafts

I haven't posted any pics in a while, but I thought this would be a nice tribute to my grandfather, who passed away a few months ago in Kenova, WV. He was a US Marine Corp Veteran who fought in WW2, a deacon in his church, a member of the American Legion, a Mason, a woodworker, and an all around amazingly kind and generous individual. He was the reason that I got into woodworking. He will certainly be missed. After the funeral service I was able to collect the fallen shells from the tribute. These 5 pens are on their way to the immediate family members. I'm sure they will appreiate them. The center part of the pens are made from tru-stone colors, red with gold matrix, dark lapis and white turquoise.

All comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.
-Richard
Cartridge-Pens4.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

With a pen like any of those, his memory will reside in their hearts forever. That is a great idea and a wonderful gift to his survivors.
Charles

navycop

The pictures didn't work for me. That is a neat idea. Wish I would of thought about it when my brother died. He was a police dispatcher and they had a 21 gun salute for him. I could probally make "pens" now but it wouldn't be the same.

paps

That was very thoughful of you...sure your family members will cherish those beautiful pens.

louie68

Very nice looking pens you got there,may i ask you those shells were blanks how did you fix the crimps on the neck end. I resently lost my brother and he had a 21 gun salute and I save the shells but they are crimp at the neck .What pen kit did you use to make the pens. And did you press fit the nibs or glue? Again you did a beautiful job on those pens. Your family will love them!!!

Rfturner

I am planing on doing this with the shells fired at my granfather's funeral, he was airforce for 12 years. I am making a total of 3 pens, one for each of the kids, My uncle, my aunt and my Dad.

randbcrafts

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

Very nice looking pens you got there,may i ask you those shells were blanks how did you fix the crimps on the neck end. I resently lost my brother and he had a 21 gun salute and I save the shells but they are crimp at the neck .What pen kit did you use to make the pens. And did you press fit the nibs or glue? Again you did a beautiful job on those pens. Your family will love them!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.
For the crimp, they were mostly opened from being fired, but I took a nail punch and pushed it into the end to open it up a bit. The brass will break if you're not careful. I'm not sure of the kit name, but you can use any slimline kit. The nibs are pressed in to the tubes.
Thanks again. -RSD

Top Bottom