Care forr Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from oneleggimp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Ernie -- my experience with plated stoppers was bad -- if used regularly, they corroded.

Went to stainless -- sometimes hear about one getting a stain, but never corrosion and flaking of the surface.

I make two styles... one with the silicone stopper that slides on and off the maple dowel... I show people that it will pull off and tell them they can wash just the silicone part without getting the wood wet... also make the stainless steels similar to what Ruth Niles sells... I get mine from a company out of Seattle for about half Ruth's prices though. Those I tell them to just rinse with warm soapy water, rinse in warm water and dry before storing. Never tell them to use dishwasher... get asked that on my bowls all the time..."Can I put them in the dishwasher?"

Skie_M

For my bottle stoppers, I had similar questions .... how to sanitize the stopper with a wood handle on it. My solution was elegant and simple. Don't glue the wood to the stopper part, just glue the metal screw into the wood and screw the stopper part on and off as needed.

There's a coarse side and a fine side to that connection screw. The coarse side matches the screw used on the bottle stopper chuck, while the fine side goes into the metal part of the stopper. By gluing the coarse side only, I leave the metal part removable, and that part is dishwasher safe.

I still advise people "hand wash only, don't use more than a damp towel on the wood". But I also tell them that if anything ever happens to the metal part, they can come back to me for a cheap (5 dollars) replacement section, and they're very happy about that option. It's the turned wood part that they want to protect.

As for your situation, it may be similar to mine, or it may not. There are still options you can use to protect your customer's investments. One is to use a trick to stabilize the wood in the threads that you cut. You simply apply superglue to the threads and spread it around with a disposable item (q-tip or other applicator), and let it dry. Then you apply some more again to let it soak into the spots that it may have missed first time around, or you can go ahead and re-tap the threads if you're sure you got it all. If the threads seem to get a little loose, this method can be used to get them tight again as well.

Please note that this method may not necessarily waterproof your wooden parts or protect against normal wear and tear and that abuse will certainly still damage the items. Also please note that if you intend to use this item as a cooking utensil that heat will affect superglue bonds.

(copy-pasted from another post I just made concerning whether someone's items would be dishwasher safe...)

Checked out that site ... the one I'ld be interested in is this one:

Premium Quality 18-8. 304 kitchen food grade \
Stainless Steel stopper (with removable 3/8"-16TPI screw)
22mmX52mm main body. 65mm total length.

Re-movable
3/8"-16Tpi screw
1-199pc $3.65
200pc + $3.45

But they're sold out at the moment .... ETA - September, so check back next month, eh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom