Carbon Fiber Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

I'm starting to do tubes wrapped in carbon fiber and was wondering about the little stray's of fiber that are sticking out(the hair like fibers) after i insert the tube. My question is; should i just leave them alone and all will be fine OR should i maybe try to burn them down with just a touch of heat to them. I will try to attach a pic from my phone for a visual to give you some idea of what i'm talking about. Thank you in advance.
IMG_20131207_181540.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theidlemind

I've done a lot of carbon fiber and have yet to see what you have in your picture.
Scissors sharp?
I'll be watching this thread to see other responses.
The heat idea sounds like a winner, give it a shot.

longbeard

David, as you can see, i've not cut the fiber sleeve. I had just taken the fiber out of the package and inserted the tube and noticed those little hair like fibers sticking out. These came from solar composites, 1/2'' stuff. I'm thinking if i taka a lighter and get the flame just close enough it will shrink them enough to not be noticable when casted.

Cmiles1985

I don't know that a lighter flame will be enough to singe the carbon fibers. Unless there are a bunch of the stray hairs, you may just want to cut back with sharp scissors.

sschering

I'm not so sure burning will work.. CF is manufactured by cooking PAN, pitch or Rayon in an inert gas atmosphere to 2000-3000 degrees. Worth a try I guess..

I would just trim the loose strands as close as possible with a roller cutter and brush it down with the first coat of resin.

healeydays

I'm starting to do tubes wrapped in carbon fiber and was wondering about the little stray's of fiber that are sticking out(the hair like fibers) after i insert the tube. My question is; should i just leave them alone and all will be fine OR should i maybe try to burn them down with just a touch of heat to them. I will try to attach a pic from my phone for a visual to give you some idea of what i'm talking about. Thank you in advance.
View attachment 105207

Hi Harry,

I just snip them...

Mike B

plano_harry

I just slipped the tube in, put CA on and trimmed it. Looks like you have a snagged bundle of fibers. You might want to cut it off before gluing, if it is really obvious. The little single fibers will probably disappear when they are glued down.

Top Bottom