Carbide Turning Tool Sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have several bowl/vase turning tools/chisels that are of course, longer than pen turning tools. I have not ventured into the longer handled tools because of price and also because I don't have a lathe capable of handling anything more that 16" diameter. That said, I was recently looking at some larger tools and ran into some much lesser priced tools on Amazon, which I am sure are made in Asia. Below are a couple of links to some that are 1/3 to 1/4 the price of Euro/USA/Canada made tools of similar size. I don't know the quality of these but they do have an appealing price:

Higher priced tools:

Opinions?

With the midi sized lathes I have found that the cheaper made Asian brands work pretty darn well. This is mainly due to the scale of work being done allowing them to serve their basic function. Like the midi lathes category, the chisels don't have to be name brand.

For larger projects where you have larger chunks of wood and potentially more tool reaching beyond the tools rest I do with known quality tools. The catches that can happen are more violent and stressing on the tools. Cheaper steal is more prone to break and when combined with longer reach that can be a potentially dangerous situation. For me, I save up my pennies and get one larger tool at a time or watch forums for people selling off used ones. I have gotten most of my larger tools this way. Quality tools do make a difference once you start moving up in sizes.

I am also not a fan of the tools multiple attachments and only one handle size. You should have a handle for each tool, granted you can make them. Another option is getting handles of different lengths to allow work in different scenarios and you can switch tool heads between handles as needed.

Thompson tools, Carter and Sons, Robust, Ashley Harwood, Oneway and D-way have a variety of handle sizes. I have a variety of handles from D-way for interchanging chisels, their size, weight and durability are a fit for me. Plus the D-way knob for tightening makes it very quick and easy. There is a cost but you get a lot of versatility with the handles. Getting different designed tools rests can go a long way as well.

All of that to say, I personally don't recommend the cheap and generic made in China tools of amazon or from anywhere else for the large turning tools.

Evilleray

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SC22M9S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I totally agree with SabertoothBunny's comments. I do own the two sets of carbide tools as in the links above.

The Asieg set runs $30 per tool and is perfectly adequate for light duty work such as pens. (The link is for one tool only.) I use DL tools replacement tips. These are my teaching tools as students can rip the tips up pretty bad with one "Oops!". Initially had a set with several shafts - one handle. I soon made handles for all of them! I have purchased other Asian made sets and sent them right back, the tooling was so poorly done.

The Rikon set is heavy duty and I trust it for use on bowls. It's weight and construction are well thought out and nicely balanced. The interchangeable handle is such a breeze to use I don't mind it at all. As for turning pens I use these without the handle they are so solid. The carbide tips are expensive but you get what you pay for.

I own a midi lathe.

Top Bottom