Carbide Chisels for the DIY Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wingnut720

As I desired to give the "carbide" turning chisels a try some time ago, but was scared away by the price :eek: , I made my own. I made two "mid-size" chisels using 3/8" bar stock and the "name brand" replacement cutters available at Woodcraft. My "would be" $60 to $80 chisels only cost me about $18 to $20 each. After using them, and realizing they would forever be a part of my turning future, I decided to step up to the heavy duty 1/2" bar stock full-size chisels, and figured I would shop around a bit for alternate cutters. BEHOLD!!!! :laugh: I struck pay dirt!!! AZ Carbide in Chandler, Arizona is my new carbide best friend. I ordered two 15mm square cutters, two 15mm R2 cutters, and one 16mm round cutter for my new projects. The square and radius cutters were less than $6 each and the round was less than $11!!!!!! What a savings, and they were shipped and received in two days for only $2 shipping (if my memory doesn't fade.) Believe me, the quality is absolutely amazing. They include a new screw for each cutter and come in a nice little plastic case for safekeeping. My new chisels, which would cost $80 to $140 each depending on the manufacturer, cost me a whopping $10 to $15 each...( the cost of the bar stock and cutters)...and the handles were turned for free from scrap oak I had lying around. "AZ" has various sizes of cutters in round, square, radius, and diamond shaped. The owner is even creating some new square cutters with slightly rounded corners at help make smoother cuts by eliminating the sharp corners. I am waaaay pleased with the cutters and the customer service is nothing short of amazing!! All you DIY chisel makers...check them out at www.azcarbide.com You won't be sorry!!! :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyW

I've used AZ from here in the UK and found them helpful and courteous, as well as having reasonable prices. When I wanted some cutters for my Sorby Turnmaster they even provided me with a link to a video tutorial on how to convert the Turnmaster to accept standard sized cutter retaining screws!

We now have a UK manufacturer of carbide chisels and cutters - Our Carbide Wood Turning Tools are hand crafted and are economical priced and are ideal for pen and bowl turners alike - Incidentally who exports to the U.S. as well as supplying the UK market, and I can highly recommend those too.

Tony Wells.

furini

I've used AZ from here in the UK and found them helpful and courteous, as well as having reasonable prices. When I wanted some cutters for my Sorby Turnmaster they even provided me with a link to a video tutorial on how to convert the Turnmaster to accept standard sized cutter retaining screws!

We now have a UK manufacturer of carbide chisels and cutters - Our Carbide Wood Turning Tools are hand crafted and are economical priced and are ideal for pen and bowl turners alike - Incidentally who exports to the U.S. as well as supplying the UK market, and I can highly recommend those too.

Tony Wells.

I've bought both cutters and chisels from here - lovely pieces of kit!

Top Bottom