Carbide Bowl Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been asked many times, although my search using the search function didn't find exactly what I was wanting to find.

I'm looking at carbide turning tools specifically for bowls. The one I've focused on is the Harrison Simple Wood Turning Tools - cutters, tools, handles, and laser plus accessories.

Recommendations (other than make it yourself - which I've read extensively on)?

Thanks.

Best,
Roger Garrett

PS - note my new lathe!

Attachments

• Powermatic 3520B.jpg
    Powermatic 3520B.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I use the Easy Rougher from Easy Wood Tools for bowls. Does a great job at hogging off the excess wood quickly. A round cutter does a nice job on the inside of bowels.

Charlie_W

Usually I use HHS tools...bowl gouges, scrapers, etc on bowls.
I have found that the round carbide does work well for end grain such as an end grain bowl or hollowing a vessel. I only use the carbide on the inside in these cases.

I just noticed that Captain Kirk's jersey is just about the same shade as the Powermatic mustard yellow! :biggrin:

Great new lathe!....enjoy!

Last edited:

Lucky2

Roger, I have a set of the Easy Wood Tools carbide turning tools, and I really like them. But, I also have a set of Cap'n Eddie's carbide turning tools, and I don't find much difference if any. Both sets work the way you'd expect them to, but, one is much cheaper. Yes, the EWT tools are a little more refined, but, with the Cap'n's tools you can turn a handle to suit your needs. If your talking about just turning regular bowls, these tools work fine. If your talking about hollow forms, your talking about a different beast.
Len

Dan Masshardt

Are you looking to use carbide exclusively or in addition to high speed steel?

There is no tool as satisfying to use as a bowl gouge.

That said, I have an easy wood tools full sized round cutter tool and I enjoy having it in the lineup.

KenV

Mike Hunter's cup shaped carbide tools will allow you to ride the bevel, scrape (like the flat ones) and shear scrape.

I see in ads that their is a Jimmy Clews signature version in two sizes.

(And yes, I have flat top carbide tools and Doug Thompson powdered metal tools).

JimB

I prefer HSS for almost all turning including bowls. I have the EWT mid-size that I use in some situations. Sometimes they work better for end grain hollowing.

Woodturningz has the EWT tools on sale for 20% off starting today.

RogerGarrett

Great replies - lots of help. Keep 'em coming.

To answer a question - I won't give up my traditional turning tools. I've spent a lot of years learning to use them - but I admit, when it comes to bowls, I yearn for catch free work. I should take some classes on bowl turning with traditional tools - but the lure of the carbide is strong.

I've been looking at this - any opinions?

Carbide Tipped Simple Woodturning Tools for Wood Turning Lathe

And - finally - I found this - and will purchase immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7280IZZxY

KenV

I got one of Harrison's carbide tools to try. It was the round flat carbide insert. I did not acquire any more.
Az Carbide in Arizona is a good source for a wide range of inserts. Az Carbide.com

RogerGarrett

I got one of Harrison's carbide tools to try. It was the round flat carbide insert. I did not acquire any more.
Az Carbide in Arizona is a good source for a wide range of inserts. Az Carbide.com

Ken - I just visited the AZ Carbide website - looks really good - and good prices too. Thanks for the rec.

Roger

shastastan

It is possible to get a catch with a carbide tool, but for me it's not very often and usually when I may not be watching as carefully as I should. For bowl hollowing, I do use the Harrison round cutter a lot. I'm thinking that folks who have acquired skill and experience, using bowl gouges, will do as well and better than using carbide tools.

When I first tried carbide tools, I thought they were a lot easier than gouges and skews. However, I found that I was reaching for those gouges just as often as I was for carbide tools. I do like my better control with the carbide tools for pen turning. Thanks to Dan, I did force myself to learn to use skews and I'm okay with them now.

TurtleTom

I don't know why people are hesitant to make their own tools. I dismantled several old P/U truck shock absorbers with a vise and a 4" grinder to make 3 top notch carbide tools for less than $30.00. Tap it to 10-24 and the cutters from Big Guy Productions even comes with the screws for $27.00 for three cutters. I did buy three sets though in case I break one.

I personally don't care much for the carbide tools... in my opinion they are essentially scrapers.... I like Dan, prefer the high speed tools like my 5/8" bowl gouge... it is my go-to tool for most of my work. I do have a couple of carbides but don't use them often... the one I use most often is the goose neck E1 that I use when doing the inside of a hollow form. For the inside of bowls, I have a 1" and a 1/2" inside HSS side scraper from PSI that I like.

Top Bottom