CarbaTec motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

This evening my motor stopped working. The smoke is still inside but when I flip the "On" switch I get about three revs and the circuit breaker pops.
I disconnected the controller and when "on" the breaker does not pop, thus I assume the problem is limited to the motor.
The only thing I did different today was to drill an aluminum blank. I did that last after a few PR blanks.
I can't see that there is any way that metal shavings could have gotten inside the motor as it is fairly well sealed. I could be wrong as there is one little area that is open but I see no evidence of any metal at that point.
This is a 1/4 horse universal motor.
The unit is only about a year or so old so I don't think I wore it out.
Any suggestions?

Lee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

As it is a universal motor, it most likely has brushes. A small piece of metal may have gotten inside on the commutator shorting two or more segments together. If you have a compressor and a blower, blow the area of the commutator while spinning the motor by hand without any power on the motor. If you can look at the area of the brushes, shine a light in there as you spin the motor by hand. All it takes is a very small shaving to get between two of the segments to short them out. I hope this helps.
Charles

leestoresund

Tried that. Looked right in with flashlight didn't see anything. Blew it out with air compressor. No luck.
At $100 I will probably upgrade to a 1/2 horse motor 'cause it will cost almost that much to have it fixed (if it can be fixed).

PenMan1

Lee:
It sounds like changing to the 1/2 HP motor with variable speed would be the best option. It should bolt right up.

After you do make the change, if it turns out to be something simple, you can then have a "back up" 1/4 ho motor.

Boz

I have a single speed motor that came off my Turncrafter from PSI when I upgraded to varible speed. Don't know the HP as I am at work and the motor is at home.
PM me if you are interested.

leestoresund

I just spoke with c/s at PSI who told me that I could not put the 1/2 hp on the CarbaTec. She was told not to sell it for CarbaTec. However, i pressed her further and she said to call back after lunch and ask for Jerry in tech support.
Further updates coming.

leestoresund

Interesting that this came up when someone else had posted about PSI bad service/delay in mailing.
First guy says "Nope. Can't be done. Wrong size." Then he says "Well, you know, I've never done it so I don't know if it will work or not. Talk to someone else." Someone else says won't work.
I asked if they had a data sheet they could send down so that I could compare it to what I have. Another guy comes on the line. "We don't support it because we haven't tried it. Buy it. If you do not alter it in any way and it doesn't work you can send it back."
Might be here Friday as it will ship out tomorrow.
Further updates next week.
I was on the phone for about a half hour all told and I did get good info.
Lee

Tried that. Looked right in with flashlight didn't see anything. Blew it out with air compressor. No luck.
At $100 I will probably upgrade to a 1/2 horse motor 'cause it will cost almost that much to have it fixed (if it can be fixed).

If it's only a year old, might check with Mfgr... it might still be under warranty and you can get the motor replaced for the cost of shipping or maybe for naught.... I had similar situation with my DC motor from HF.... I called and told them I had had the DC less than a year... they sent me a new 2 hp motor no charge... and I know Jet's have a 5 year/no questions asked warranty except on the belts.

leestoresund

My replacement motor from PSI got here yesterday. Some modifications necessary on the motor mounting plate and the hole in the pulley but it did run my old motor. Just tried it for a quick check.
Installed the controller on the lathe, plugged it in. Nothing!
Took the back off the controller and one wire from the switch to the circuit breaker just fell out. It was not even crimped to the connectors. Either end.
Then there was the burned out 20 amp fuse.
By the time this was discovered PSI customer service was closed until 11 AM today. We'll see what they do when I talk with them.

Anyone have a good controller for a CarbaTec lathe?

Lee

leestoresund

Got hold of the service department. Started to explain the problem.
"Let's cut right to the chase" he says. "I'll ship out a replacement today and when you get it you send the other one back. OK?"

I think that is pretty good service.

Lee

Top Bottom