Cap cracked

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

I'm not really too upset about this, since this is all a learning process for me and I'll chalk it up to a newbie mistake.....however, I'd like to know what that mistake was. I thought I'd share my experience and ask a question.

I turned my first high end kit today. An Art Deco rollerball. I had problems with the cap tube from the get-go. It was very difficult to fit into the drilled blank, so initially I thought that I hadn't drilled the blank straight. OK, I decide....forge ahead. Again, problems trimming the barrel, the barrel trimmer adaptor got stuck in the tube. Again, I stubbornly forge ahead (do you notice a trend here?).

When I pressed the center band in, I heard a crack, just when the metal portion entered the tube. Two hairline cracks appeared. The only thing I can figure is that the brass tube that came with the kit was out of round. I should have stopped when the tube wouldn't fit correctly in the blank and had PSI replace it. Has anyone else ever had a problem with out of round tubes? It really seemed ok when turning, didn't turn on the lathe out of round (but maybe it was just enough out of round). I was making this to donate to a silent auction for my children's school. Now I'll probably keep it, until it falls apart, then learn how to disassemble a pen and re-use the parts. I'll turn another for the auction.

The other thing I learned, is that I need digital calipers. Close enough was ok for trimlines, but I'd like the tolerances to the nib, center, and cap to be dead on for higher end kits.

Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
probable glue in the tube that you did not see. I don't use the trimmer adapters because the same thing that happened to you, happened to me to many times. Now I just leave the 7mm bit in the squaring head with no adapter.
I ALWAYS take a drill bit and slowly scrape around inside the tube to scrape away any glue that might be in there. You can feel it catch when it hits glue. I also use a beveled tool ( I dont know the reel name of it) to taper the edges of the brass tube so they are not square.

Mark

My first Majestic went so smooth, I couldn't believe I was done when it was assembled.

My second was a direct replica of what you just described. The only difference and maybe why it didn't crack, was that when the tube didn't slide right through the drilled blank, I took a rat tail rasp and worked it around the end that the tube stopped in (bottom of the blank as I drilled it) Once the tube slid through without an issue, I glued it up and everything worked fine.

Yes I have received kits with a bent tube. More like slightly out of round smashed in packaging I'm sure. I straighten it with some round iron stock I had in the garage, which seems to work 90% of the time. Take your time and climb over each hurtle before moving on. I had it happen with a Jr Retro kit once. I suppose it can happen any time, but it's a shame you found it on a high-end piece. Good Luck.

As for the squaring problem, if the tube was out of round, you will have problems with the insert. Could be adhesive related. It's good to check that any time. But if the tube went in hard (you had to force it), it was likely the culprit of the insert not fitting.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Yes it could be an out of round tube. You have to remember these products are mass produced and packaged and shipped and stored and shipped again and then you store them so anything can happen. You can check the tubes by rolling them on a straight flat surface. The other thing to note is you should always ream the ends of the blank after you get done with a barrel trimmer because they will leave a rough edge and this can cause excess pressure on the blank when pressing things together. Being there is always less material on the ends that is where those pesky cracks show up. I always pay attention to how hard a part is going in. I have had to back a part out before completly seated in fear of cracking. I just do a little file job and it is usually good to go. Yes check for glue residue in the tubes as well. It is always a learning experience as we go through our hobby.

CaptG

If the tube was tight going into the drilled blank, sounds like a dull drill that wandered a bit and gave you a crooked hole. Does not take much. When you said the barrel trimmer adapter got stuck, that tells me my guess is right and the hole was crooked and the tube bent to conform to the crooked hole which is why the trimmer adapter got stuck. Been there, done that. Drill Dr., gotta love em. Sharp drills that cut straight. Solved that problem. As for the cracking, I have long ago taken to using a dremmel with a small sanding drum and sand the ID of the tubes about 1/2 inch in from the ends so I get a very light press fit, almost a slip fit, and loctite the parts in. Plus it cleans out any excress glue that might be there. I do a lot of pr and acrylic blanks and no more cracks since I started this. Just my .02 cents worth.

fernhills

There are few others out there that tubes fit tight. To fix the problem i use the appropriate transfer punch and wrap sandpaper around it and enlarge the hole just enough so the tube slides in easily and enough glue can be used. Its a pain but... Carl

Tage

Thanks for good advice from all. I originally thought I might have drilled the hole crooked. I should have stopped there and started again. Lesson learned -- take your time. I also like the various ideas for sanding out or reaming the brass tube, I'll incorporate that into the process.

Top Bottom