Cant wait to get started!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joe004

I have been sitting here all day reading and watching videos about pen turning. Its driving me nuts knowing that my lathe is sitting at the UPS terminal in Little Rock waiting to be delivered, so I took this time to come up with questions and search for the answers on this site. The more I read the more I want to get started! I went to home depot yesterday and got some poplar turning blanks they had on sale for 1.98 I figured these would give some practice before I start on actual pen blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

You are starting off right Joe. I probably spent the first 4 months reading when I wasn't turning. You need to put some info in your profile - don't worry, no salesmen will call.:tongue:

Harry

SDB777

Did they tell you when your stuff will be arriving?

SnowbirdBob(facebook) says we are going to be getting some more 'white stuff' tomorrow....6-9 inches is the current prediction! Yuck!!

If your stuff isn't here by this coming Friday...come on over, we'll get you started on my lathe.

Scott (plenty to make around here) B

joe004

Did they tell you when your stuff will be arriving?

SnowbirdBob(facebook) says we are going to be getting some more 'white stuff' tomorrow....6-9 inches is the current prediction! Yuck!!

If your stuff isn't here by this coming Friday...come on over, we'll get you started on my lathe.

Scott (plenty to make around here) B

Supposed to be delivered monday, I hope the weather holds out long enough for them to deliver that way if I'm stuck at home I can at least destroy some wood.:bulgy-eyes:

WriteON

Congrats on your new purchase. Have fun. Learn from doing, asking, watching.
Safety first. Protect your face, eyes, ears each and every time before you turn the lathe on.

TDE

Joe, Did your lathe come in? I hope you have been using it already. I assume you know about the meeting on Saturday? Hope you can make it. Happy turning, Ted:)

kevrob

Welcome from Manhattan, KS. Enjoy the addiction. Much better addiction than many others...or so I remind my wife when I order something new for pen turning!

LeeR

Joe,

Once you get ready to turn some "real" blanks, do yourself a favor and explore all the vendors that hang out here. I've gotten some amazing blanks from many of these vendors, as well as some great woods as well as acrylics from members here that sell.

While I occasionally buy a blank or two from the local Woodcraft, by far the best and most reasonably priced have been found right here.

And depending on your arsenal of tools, you can make your own. I've found some great exotics exploring wood stores, and cut many of my own. My wife is a little worried that the overgrown crab apple out front is coming down to make pens. Add when it does (not if), I'll offer up some here if they make good pens. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom