Candy Cane pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darcisowers

darcisowers

Before the holidays I was browsing thru the Christmas section for holiday decorations. I came across these gigantic twisted plastic candy cane decorations, and started thinking - I wonder if I could make a pen out of that. So I bought one to give it a go.
candy_canes.jpg

IT WORKED. although sadly, by the time I figured this out a few days later, they had sold out of all their candy cane decorations. I was able to find a few more at the local craft store, but they were 4x the cost. I bought them out!

I am proud of my non-traditional pen blank discovery. They are a bit too small for anything other than slimlines, but maybe next year I can try (with the help from Greg?!!) casting them in clear to see if larger barrels are a possibility.

:biggrin:
Darci

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

those look great! If they're only large enough for slimlines, casting in clear resin probably wouldn't work as you wouldn't have enough diameter there. You could try, but you'll probably end up drilling out the actually material for larger pens.

darcisowers

Landon, I sent a candy cane blank to my buddy, and my hubby begged for one for his. :wink:

Jeremy, I can't recall the diameter (and I'm too lazy to go check!!) but I think it might JUST work for a Sierra, but not if you make them too fat... however there's not much room for drilling error either... and I'm not THAT good yet. :laugh:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Those are really nice, Darci. Glad to see you finally posting pictures of them!

Depending on what kit you are thinking of, Glycerine may be right. But you could definitely turn them into Europeans or Olympias or modified slims (slims don't have to be thin). And if the original is bigger than 11mm we could probably get a Cigar out of them. It will be fun to play.

Now is the time to go looking for the source material. It will be 50-75% off everywhere you look.

GK

Top Bottom