Candlestick Bases

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dgerwin11

dgerwin11

I have branched out to making candlesticks with the kits from PSI. I think I would like to make some all wood except the cup. This means I would have to turn a base.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I need opinions before I hurt myself or equipment.

Would this procedure work and be safe? Cut a board roughly round on a band saw, drill a hole in the center and then mount it on a mandrel or screw chuck.

An unrelated question. I have searched for a dead center but can not find one in the usual places. Any ideas? I am not tooled up to be able to make my own.

Thanks and Happy new Year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Bellsy

I have branched out to making candlesticks with the kits from PSI. I think I would like to make some all wood except the cup. This means I would have to turn a base.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I need opinions before I hurt myself or equipment.

Would this procedure work and be safe? Cut a board roughly round on a band saw, drill a hole in the center and then mount it on a mandrel or screw chuck.

An unrelated question. I have searched for a dead center but can not find one in the usual places. Any ideas? I am not tooled up to be able to make my own.

Thanks and Happy new Year.

I'm not sure if you meant to say mandrel or not, but generally candle sticks are not turned on a mandrel, nor are they turned with a screw chuck. If your tying to turn the PSI candle stick holder that I am thinking of, it shows you in the instructions to turn the piece between centers with a spur drive and a live center. This is referred to as spindle turning. If your trying to turn a disc or flat board cut round, this is something that can be done with the use of a screw chuck.

What is the dimension of the piece your trying to turn? This will give us a better idea of how to tell you what you need to hold the work.

Dave

I am talking about the base only. 3"-4" diameter. The stick is turned between centers with a spur.

I haven't turned any candlesticks, but I do a number of goblets that are essentially some spindle turning with a base.... I make my stems by gluing a round "stem" into a flat base that is glued to a sacrificial waste block. The waste block has a tenon cut to fit in my #3 jaws and hold the "base" so I can cut it round. I've also cut the bases for my wine stands using a face plate with double stick tape holding the base in place while I turn and smooth it.

Attachments

• 40-945.JPG
    40-945.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 41-1191_0.jpg
    41-1191_0.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom