Canadian Members - Buying Online from Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I tried to place an online order today with Woodcraft ... yes, to make use of their Mar 17 10% discount !

Just a $95 purchase .... 4 pens kits and 2 sets of bushings.

The 10% came off OK, but the checkout process gives a number of shipping options for shipping to Canada. The cheapest is UPS for about $17. The next cheapest is USPS for about $32.

But there is a "gotcha" to choosing UPS, however .... the checkout page says that the shipper can levy taxes, Customs charges, import duties, etc. "at a later date". I don't want to leave myself open to that because I know it will amount to another $50, at least, based on my past experience with using UPS. And I don't want to pay the hefty and unrealistically inflated USPS they quote of $32.

I want them to ship USPS in a small Flat Rate Box for about $20 and I'll deal with Canada Customs and CanadaPost myself if the need arises. The customer service person I talked to said that they don't know how to do the shipping this way.

Are there any Canucks who order online from Woodcraft ? If so, what is your experience with the shipping ? Please let me know.

Most US vendors (except PSI) that I deal with are happy to use Flat Rate Box shipping, and that includes Exoticblanks, Bear Tooth Woods, Arizona Silhouette, Golden Nib, Woodturningz, Lazerlinez, WoodNWhimsies, to name the ones that I've dealt with in the last 2 yrs.

Last edited:

zig613

Woodcraft is no different then CSUSA or as you mentioned PSI. I have found that it is only the small vendors that use the flat rate box system.

I have only placed one order from Woodcraft a couple of year ago. I selected USPS vs. UPS for the same reasons you noted. There were no issue with delivery.

Wade

Last edited:

magpens

I selected USPS vs. UPS for the same reasons you noted. There were no issue with delivery.

Wade

I am not concerned about delivery. I know I'll get it. I just don't want to pay Woodcraft $32 for USPS shipping when I know that the USPS Flat Rate Box would cost only about $20. I would be paying Woodcraft an extra $12 for doing things *their* way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom