Can you identify this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Got some free wood today from a tree that was blown down in a storm. Got enough to make 20 bowls or so. There are still some leaves on the branch at the left to help identify.

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Possibly butternut but doesn't look dark enough. Definitely not maple.

There are several types of locust. Most commonly seen are black locust and honey locust. Look for spines. They will both have them - I don't think the butternut does.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Looks like locust to me. Probably black locust which is native to your area. We have honey locust down here where I live.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's some honey locust logs.
Yeah, I know - shoulda sealed the ends right away. Fortunately (I guess), it's quite humid here so they are drying very slowly & the cracks are not very deep at all.

Black & honey locust are very similar. Both have spines at the base of the leaves but honey locust also has long thorns on the tree trunk & limbs. Black locust does not. Other than that, you would need to look at flowers & fruit to be sure.

Attachments

• HoneyLocust.jpg
    HoneyLocust.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 172

2 Saw

With the color the bark texture and leaves that is Honey locust for sure.
There may have been some very long red thorns on part of the trunk and limbs.

Bobostro61

Got them cut up today. 20 bowl blanks in total. That little 14" Poulan electric chain saw I have did not enjoy itself one bit (even with a brand new chain put on). Not made for this size log.

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 150

thrustmonkey

Looks like the Locust I have growing in the back yard. Is that from that pesky little F1 we had blow through here the other day?

robutacion

Got some free wood today from a tree that was blown down in a storm. Got enough to make 20 bowls or so. There are still some leaves on the branch at the left to help identify.

Well Bob, from where I stand, the best and most accurate idea I can offer you is that, is something that I wouldn't mind to have but, I don't...!:eek::redface::frown: sorry...!

Cheers
George

low_48

Got them cut up today. 20 bowl blanks in total. That little 14" Poulan electric chain saw I have did not enjoy itself one bit (even with a brand new chain put on). Not made for this size log.
From the looks of the cut, are you cutting from the end grain of the log? It will cut way faster if you lay the block on it's side and cut with the bar parallel with the grain. You have to watch those long curls, as they will plug up the saw, but it's way easier.

Top Bottom