Can you answer a couple questions on Jet 1014 for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I do not own a mini lathe so I come to you guys for an answer. Don Ward and I are teaching a class at Arrowmont in a few weeks and we are putting together a list of items folks in the class can order if they need them. We are sourcing a drill chuck and a 60° live center. When looking at Little Machine Shops, they offer both with a short MT2 and say it is for a Jet 1014 mini lathe. Is there an issue where a standard length does not work properly in either the headstock or tailstock?

Also, I seem to recall that I read on here that the Jet is now shipping with a 60° live center. Am I dreaming? One of the segments we are teaching is between center penturning. Arrowmont has Jet 1014 lathes with the live center that they come with. If these are not 60° live centers, they will not fit the bushings properly and we will need to make sure the students have the right one.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
With the tailstock......the short MT will not waste any of the quill travel. Where a standard one often has a tang on the end which means you need to wind the quill out a bit before the MT will seat, thus wasting travel.

Don't know the rest....

alphageek

Former Moderator
I can't answer the short vs long question... I can tell you that unless they have changed it (and from the pictures on jets website, it doesn't look like it) then it is NOT a 60 degree center.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Any reason why you have not called jet and ask them directly??? Would seem to cut out much rumor and speculation.

Umm, because it is the weekend! I am not that concerned with it either. I don't have a Jet 1014 nor do I plan to get one. I am just putting together a list of items students may need for our class. I got the answers I needed here and on FB from folks who actually have the lathe so no rumor or speculation that I can see.

Charlie_W

Curtis,
Consider purchasing and having enough live and dead 60 degree centers for the class. You can either use these and/or sell to students in the class.
I was in a Hertzog workshop where that is what he did. Everyone went home happy.
I prefer the longer morse for general between center turning and for ease in ejecting from the tail stock.
When it comes to drilling on the lathe, the short taper would be useful in giving the extra quill length as noted.

Good Luck at Arrowmont! Sounds like it would be a blast!

edstreet

Many manufactures will let the retailer customize the items and I was thinking that may be the case here. After calling them today and asking the answer was no not possible. Then when I ask what center was shipped the reply was "I don't know, that's not listed." I also ask about long vs short and the person had no clue what a long nose live center was. The most I could get was "It is MT2"

Also he was quick to point out the 1014 was old old version and the new one is 1015.

Top Bottom