Can someone tell me what is involved in a fountain pen "remake"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I don't know what John means by "remake" but I'd guess that it involves replacing any part of a "name brand" pen which is broken or defective in some way with new parts - with the exception of the nib, for me that's a fundamental/definition thing.

To me a "pen restore" is replacing an ink sac and/or pressure bar, and cleaning up the materials of the barrel/cap. A remake could involve a new cap or section or barrel (or some combination). Shawn Newton "wraps" barrels by turning them down a smidge and sliding a sleeve of new material onto them - that could also be called a remake I suppose.

If he shows it, look at John's starting point and ending point - you should be able to see what's changed.

Valleyboy

Are you talking about "re-dressing" a pen maybe? So you take something like a blue Pelikan 800 and strip off the blue resin and replace it with something if your own choosing?
I've seen this a couple of times but I've only done it with a very basic shaped Faber Castell Ambition model. It started as a reddish wood and I changed it to some vintage cellulose.

D8630AE0-1949-4EEF-8679-8F59297CEDBB.jpegDDBADC47-6C0D-408C-9242-DFB650AE12A3.jpeg
It involved putting on the lathe to cut away the existing material then replacing it with some material I'd drilled, turned and cut to size. I'm guessing that's the basic principle but I don't known about how other models are made and how you'd get them apart and whether glued, screwed, friction fit etc.

Cheers
Ash

Valleyboy

Ash,

I am guessing that's what he is doing... I was hoping to find out more about how he does it...

Instagram: @twisspens
Sure. I think the main task is how to dissemble the original pen. I saw he'd done some pelikan 1000s so I Googled "dissembling a pelikan 1000" and found a couple of YouTube videos showing how to get the cap and barrel apart (mostly). The only thing it doesn't show is how to get the decorative rings off but where there's a will… (it may be a case of having to destroy the original resin sleeve to get the rings off - I'm not sure).
Once you've done that you then need to reassemble with your own resin or wood sleeve instead. I don't think there is much more to it. (Different pens will be assembled differently of course but that's how I'd do it for a Pelikan).

Penfeather

Hi! I know I'm late to the party, but I haven't been around much this year, and only just stumbled upon your post now. Newton Pens modifies pens by removing the binde, and replacing it with something new (this is for Pelikan and Montblanc pens). He has a video showing how he removes the existing binde on a lathe, although I've read that you can sometimes peel of a cracked one with the careful use of a utility knife. I suggest checking out his site to see if that's what you're looking for. I don't believe he shows how to disassemble the pens, but it should be possible to find that information elsewhere. He does some other rebuilds as well, but those don't seem quite as complicated.

Please be aware that modding pens and selling them can lead to legal problems. I think he only mods pens for individual commissions, not for sale on his website.

Top Bottom