Can anyone identify this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDPens

We won a box full of blanks off of ebay.
The seller was "eye-of-nute" I think. I think the company was Foxfire Woods or a similiar name.
There were 13 different woods with 10 of each. We were able to identify all but 1 of the woods.

2006126181310_Mystery%20Wood%201a.jpg

And a different view ...

2006126181337_Mystery%20Wood%201b.jpg

Is there a consensus? Got any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The striped grain pattern kind of resembles Lignum Vitae, but the color is off, unless that's been freshly cut. LV usually has color closer to the top picture in natural light.

kent4Him

The pattern also resembles mahogony, but I don't think that is it either.

It really looks like a wood that I had brought to me from the Congo called Salita, but it is not commercially available.

beamer

then again, the color on the 2nd photo screams something decidedly NOT yellow ...

Birch, maybe? ... it does kinda have a mahogany looking grain, only smaller ... hmmm

Josh,
the top pictures looks very much like a piece of Sassafras that I have... has brownish grey color with irredescent goldish highlights when it's turned... if it has an odor, it'll smell a little like root beer.

Another look, it also looks a little like a piece of tropical Almond that I have..

These othere guys probably have a better idea... I'm not really good at identifying woods if it doesn't have a tag on it.

wudnhed

OK, I'm way out of my league here but I am taking a shot......your picture looks like some of ours marked Apple. We also got a variety from same seller and have enjoyed working with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom